Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. i was in chat last nite and i got some help from a few guys.. but the conclusion we came to is i'm inconsistant and torquing the bow.. I was thinking about it sure thats probably true but what about string stratch?? its a jennings cmx with a blue and black string.. my axle to axle is 1/4 inch longer than it states on the card.. also the idler on top is at a differant point after shooting.. I check whe i go out and come back.. it changes with the amount i shoot?? why is this.. my groups are moving on me is the problem i have.. but if anyone can help please do.. I reckon i'm caught between a rock and hard spot by cracky:D ..
thanks yall
Justin

·
74,535 Posts
Justin

Marked your cams with a marker some how. I use whiteout. That way you can tell if your string has streched or moved. One of the best tips I ever was taught early on. If it strechs just place a few twist and put cams back in place.

Torguing the bow is hard thing to overcome.

·
Occam's Razor
8,322 Posts
I believe it is also common for your groups to move on you during the early stages of learning to shoot. Mainly inconsistent from from end to end. Work on establishing a very stable shot routine and sequence and they will start to disappear.................ck

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
You also need to keep in mind that published measurements such as axle-to-axle length and brace height are only approximations and can/will vary depending on your specific bow set-up (draw length, draw weight, etc.). Therefore, unless you marked the bottom cam, or measured the brace height, or measured the a-t-a of your bow shortly after getting it set up for yourself, there is no way to tell how much, if any, the string or cable stretched. Personally, as long as the draw length still fits you, I wouldn't think that string or cable stretch is the reason for your groups moving. Especially if the movement is side to side.

Quick comment on the idler wheel as well. Not uncommon for the idler to rotate slightly after each shot. Shouldn't have any affect on the groups.

Hope any of this helps...................................

>>--------->

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your best bet would be to purchase a good double cam bow. Single cams will always have string stretch problems. No matter how many shots you have on the string, it will always stretch slightly. Many times just by leaving the A/C'ed room to the sunshine. And your groups will change. Sure some strings are better than others but as long as you have a string over 100 inches long you will have stretch.

Purchase a good double cam and your troubles will be over.

DID YOU EVER WONDER WHY ALL SINGLE CAM MANUFACTURERS ARE TRYING TO MAKE THEIR "SINGLE CAMS" MORE LIKE "DOUBLE CAMS"????????

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
jaco -

With all due respect, a single cam or double cam experiences string stretch due to strings, not cams. Either one will not shoot the same after a cable or string stretches and changes. Without buying a new car to fix a flat tire, I would replace the string and cable(s) with a quality set that won't continue to give stretching problems. I have shot some of the most extreme double and solo cams with no problems.

·
74,535 Posts
Single cams like double

I beleive Mathews just won about everthing in 3d all year long. I shot lots of double cams and they strech just like one cams. If you cant beat them just bash them ever chance you get.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
DB is right, doubles are just as prone to stretch issues. They just have shorter strings.;) They ALL need te be tuned from time to time. And this coming from me too!:D I prefer doubles.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol.. i'm not made of money man.. i just bought this bow.. i do like single cams but i would like to try a hoyt with 1.5 cam.. had a 2 cam.. i guess they all seem the same to me but i do like 1 cams.. thanks for the help guys.. i'll just have to keep shooting and figure it out.. i do shoot a lot.. and its been hot.. i'm not that inconsistant tho.. well any other things let me know.. thanks Justin

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Justin,

A large part of shooting well is having the right mental attitude. If you are unsure about your strings pitch them and get a new set. (Get cables and a string.) Get them here:

http://home.ntelos.net/~nberry4/BerryStrings/index.htm

If you don't know all the measurements that Wayne asks for don't worry. Send Wayne an email and he will help you get the right strings for your bow. Wayne makes great strings that do not stretch. The best part is they are really inexpensive. :)

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Another great string and cable setup is ProStrings. Check them out at http://www.prostring.com
Tell them that GPR sent you. ;) :) :D

Dick

·
Registered
844 Posts
Something to check

Have you checked both axles to insure they are straight? Bent axle will cause slight cam/wheel shift and result in inconsistant grouping.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i think i got her.. i took the last 4 days and tuned it and got my groups as good as posible then moved them right to the X.. i was givin some helpful info on torque.. now i'm outa arrows.. this darn shooting stuff is expensive.. how do you guys aford it?? all well.. its fun.. i shoot a lot to so thats why i ruin so many arrows.. well thanks Justin

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
We afford it by shooting at a multiface target. I'm not that good and I wouldn't shoot more than one arrow at a single target at anything less than 40 yards. You're just asking to ruin arrows. Get some NFAA 5 spot targets and practice on those. Only shoot 5 arrows.

·
Registered
804 Posts
voice bug,

You talk like you know what you are talking about but you obviously do not.

The cables on a double cam are the same length and if installed at the same time will seat or stretch at the same time or rate. The bow string on a double cam wraps identically on both cams therefore the seating or stretching is nearly equal over both string and cables.

Consequently, after a couple hundred shots on a new set of string and cables you can then do a good "creep tune" on your double cam bow and you have it set up for several thousand trouble free shots. This is a fact and no single cam or cam and ½ can come close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts