Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually work on my own bow so I thought I would ask some of the experts. I have shot my Legacy for about 4 months now and I like it very much. I have noticed lately that my point of inpact was lowering. I raised the sights to compensate and all was well for a short time and it started shooting low again. Not bad just a couple of inches at 20, but it was more as I moved back. I cranked both limb bolts about half a turn each and that brought the impact point back up and the arrow speed is impressive, but I was much more comfortable at the lower draw weight. Is it possible that string stretch is responsible for this or should I look to something else. I will be taking the bow into the shop soon for a hunting season tune up, but I value your opinions. Thanks for the help.

Mathews Legacy bow 70lbs limbs originally set at 65lbs
Shoot off a string loop with Scott Mongoose release
Limb Savers top and bottom
String leeches two on string and two on the cables
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter rest
Trophy Ridge Matrix sight
29 inch draw length
Quiver not attached

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also shoot a Legacy. I had the same problem with the Zebra twist string stretching. My peep kept rotating and my sights seemed to be off all the time. I had a Winners Choice string put on and it appears to have cured these problems. Just a thought.:)

·
Occam's Razor
8,327 Posts
Oh, yes.....

It depends on how much you have shot the bow, four months seems like a long time to now be encountering string stretch. How many arrows have you put through it?.... And yes, it will stretch and yes, it will shot lower as you have found. You have found the cure, crank it down, or go to winners choice, which don't seem to suffer from the "problem" as much as others.......

IT is possible that your anchor or peep site alignment could cause the problem, but I bet on the string....

After a while the new higher poundage will be ok. as you shoot more and more and build up those shooting muscles................ck

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Cable length sounds more like the culprit to me. Check your cable length against spec. Hope this helps. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
Do as derbytown said then just add a few twists to bring everything back to spec. Shooting it for the past 4 months means its that old or youve pick it up after a while and been shooting it now for 4 months?? If its new ADD twists, if its at least a year it maybe time to replace.
PETE

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just FYI, built strings for a year old legacy today. The original zebra strings had stretched a total of 2 1/4" on the string and almost 1 3/4 inches on the cable. I'm building a lot of 452 strings for customers now cause of excessive stretch on the zebras. Get your shop to build you a set of 450+ or 452 strings, you'll be very happy with them.

Alfredo

·
Registered
800 Posts
Based on my experience with Mathews, my guess would be cable stretch. Regardless of what type of string/cable material you end up using, putting some reference marks on the cam is a good idea IMHO.

I use the edge of the limb as a guide and put two lines on my cam. One on the outside of the limb, one on the inside. A pencil or a silver marker (on a black cam) works great. A quick glance tells you if anything is stretching. Then just press the bow and twist until the marks are back where you had them...works for me.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Ranger...if your going to change your string you might want to try a "Tiger ZS" string made of 452 string material (made by the same folks who make the Zebra strings and cables). They cost the same as a Zebra string but are nearly zero stretch strings. You can order them through your Mathews dealer. Make sure you get both the string and cable made from the same material...don't mix a Tiger string with a Zebra cable.

Also, Tiger strings and cables are now standard on the Conquest 3.

sittnbull

1 - 9 of 9 Posts