Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a couple questions that are no doubt elementary to you traditional experts.
First, I went shopping for a new string for my old vintage Herters recurve and the closest string I could find was about an inch too long. Is it safe to twist up an inch or is that too much twist? It's a 50 lb. draw and a 58 inch string. The old string was 57 inches.

Second, I see guys that never seem to unstring their recurves. I also see them in the pro shop strung for months/years. Is it ok/safe to leave them strung all the time?

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Modern fiberglass backed bows can probably be left strung indefinitely. In fact I have at least one bow (Bob Lee Stick) where the bowyer recommends leaving it strung if you're shooting it periodically. More bows are damaged in the stringing and unstringing process than any other time. Most of my bows are left strung all the time because I periodically shoot all of them. However, if I knew I wasn't going to shoot a bow for a period of months, I'd probably unstring it.

As far as twisting the string, you can probably take it up almost an inch by twisting, especially if it's flemish twist rather than endless. Just twist 'til it starts to kink up, then back off a little.

·
2nd Amend. Don't lose it
21,773 Posts
One inch is probably going to be too much twist.

One you could do, is loop the smaller loop around your bottom limb with a 1/2 hitch, and see if that shortened it up by 1 inch.

Dwayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts