Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone out there can help me it would be great. I perform repairs to my bow myself. It is time to put a new string on my bow and I was wondering if anyone out there knows how many twists need to be put on top of the serving and on the bottom?

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,454 Posts
THB said:
If anyone out there can help me it would be great. I perform repairs to my bow myself. It is time to put a new string on my bow and I was wondering if anyone out there knows how many twists need to be put on top of the serving and on the bottom?
The string should be twisted as one unit, not above and below as you discribe. ALL servings should be applied in the same direction as the string twist (clockwise string twist = clockwise serving installation).

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
EPLC said:
The string should be twisted as one unit, not above and below as you discribe. ALL servings should be applied in the same direction as the string twist (clockwise string twist = clockwise serving installation).
Yes, you need to do as EPLC said. My string and cable(s) come ready to install and should not need any additional twisting except to adjust peep sight rotation and cable lean.

There is no answer to your question. The string and cable(s) need to be measured at 100 lbs of tension. Then twists can be added or deducted to the manufacturer's specifications. Otherwise, it is a crap shoot. You need to measure the axle to axle and brace height, and adjust cam rotation, to achieve the best rotation (tune) and, if necessary timing.

If you have never done this then you need to have a friend who has "show you the ropes" or keep asking questions and reading here. There are some instructional DVD's out. One good one is by LeEarl and their are others others.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,454 Posts
THB said:
Thanks for the info, can you also tell me how many twists are needed?
On 2 cam strings I make them about 1/2" oversize and then twist to length, one-cam I go about 3/4" over and then twist. Cables are 3/8" over and twist. Some folks use a specific number of twists per inch but my method produces as much consistancy but I don't actually count the twists.

Recommended # of strands for BCY string material:

452x = 22 string 24 cable
8125 - 18 string 18-20 cable

There is a bunch of good info in the BCY website... here's the link.

http://www.bcyfibers.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts