Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, but didn't find my answer, so...

Is there a rule-of-thumb you use for the amount of twists per inch in your string and/or cable? I've seen a reference to 1 twist per inch, but I wanted other's opinions.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Vendor
534 Posts
twists?

Brian,
I think that 1 twist for every inch is too much. I would say that 1 twist for every 2 inches would be a better ratio. I'll give a 60" string aprox. 25-30 twists to start with. The key here is to give the string enough twists to stabilize it, but not too many which can weaken the string and cause other performance problems as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After playing with my AR-34, I think that may have been what he meant. I've got it setup with one color of a two color string being just over 1". That would be 1 full twist in just over 2".

It does shoot a lot faster (just from eye-balling it) and my groups have tightened a bit. Overall, the bow just seems "tighter" set this way. Before I started playing, it was set to 1 twist in ~3.5". I'd have to say that was the wrong setup!

Thanks for the reply,
Brian

·
Registered
184 Posts
i twist mine to whatever is nessecary to set cam timimg and give desired draw length........
the ar being a single cam perhaps it isn't as crital.

·
Banned
843 Posts
There is now correct amount of twists. A string should have a few twists in it at least.Twists to cables ,string and even yoke are done to get correct ATA,wieght,Brace,tiller and most important proper cam roll over. Who says a 1 cam cant be out of time?....trick question or Mathews clever marketing ploy(u make the call) It doesnt have another cam to be in time with,but it can be all out of whack with improper roll over. If you have proper cam roll over,odds are all the rest of the potential related string /cable tune problems are miniscule.

·
Registered
134 Posts
TWISTS

I've dissected a number of old Zebra strings, with lengths ranging from 60 to 93 inches. The Zebra strings I disassembled were made of Fast Flight. The number of twists in those strings was 2 twists for every 3 inches.

I still prefer Fast Flight strings for my hunting bows. I build my strings with 2 twist for every 3 inch of length, and performace has been flawless. I put 60 twists in a 90 inch string.

contractpelot :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I usually take whatever the string length is and cut it in half. if its a 40" string I'll put 20 twists in it. That gets me in the ballpark. Then I adjust twists to get the cams in time or to the bow specs.
Alfredo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Spot Hogg did an article on this issue several years ago. I think they concluded that there should be 1 twist per inch of bowstring. You should still be able to access it on their website.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found the Spott Hogg article (thanks, mdarcher). Here's the link...

http://www.spot-hogg.com/newsletter_7.htm

I've sent them an email, but does anyone know what is meant by one twist per inch? Does that mean if I have a 96" string that I twist it 96 times or can I simply lay a ruler across the string and expect to see one complete revolution of a strand within one inch?

thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The old standard was 1 twist in 2 inches, but with the newer thin materials 1 twist per inch is probably going to help stabilize the string quicker. I started using more twists several years ago and like 1 twist for every 1-1.25 inches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts