Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hoyt Formula Faktor and am waiting for a custom BYC sting to be made. I just puchased a 16 stand Dacron string so I could shoot the bow until my custom string is done. Will the Dacron sting hurt my bow? I might decide to use it for a little.

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,475 Posts
A dacron string won't hurt your bow. Dacron is a little stretchy so the string will slightly lengthen during each shooting session. Watch your brace height as it will lower during the session.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
To add onto TER's post, dacron's stretchiness means you'll gain speed when you go something with a lot less stretch, such as 8125/8190/majesty/etc. So, if you've done any tuning, you'll have to retune when you get the new string on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it's wise to check your tune every time you change a string, even if it is the "exact same string" as the one being replaced.

·
Registered
20,572 Posts
L -

At 20 yards, without bare shafting the odds are you won't be able to tell the difference between an appropriate Dacron and most of the newer materials.

However, 16 strands of Dacron is for bows in excess of 60#, doubt your bow is that heavy, so yes, because of that there will be a performance loss and you might have nock fit problems. As far as Dacron creeping (not stretching, look it up) every session, ah, no. Once settled, after about one session, it will be as stable as anything out there.

And yes, even if machine made, every string will be slightly different, so a quick check is in order.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It won't hurt it at all, it will feel and preform very similar to your BCY once, but might not be as nice and will be slightly slower.

You can do rough tuning but don't bother with any fine tuning until you get your new one.

Have fun!

·
Don't Tread On Anyone
1,475 Posts
Just so you are clear on the definitions of creep vs. stretch; Viper1 and I are both using the correct words for what we mean. Stretch is when the string lengthens during the shooting session then recovers to its shorter length when not in use. And then stretches again during each shooting session, and recovers between sessions. Creep is when a brand new string lengthens during the very first session it is shot and then stays at it's new length, i.e. does not recover it's shorter length. I have to say the last time I shot a Dacron string was in about 1983 so my memory about whether my Dacron strings were creeping or stretching is pretty hazy. Whereas Viper1 may have last shot a Dacron string earlier today.

·
Is that a cookie?
4,834 Posts
Just so you are clear on the definitions of creep vs. stretch; Viper1 and I are both using the correct words for what we mean. Stretch is when the string lengthens during the shooting session then recovers to its shorter length when not in use. And then stretches again during each shooting session, and recovers between sessions. Creep is when a brand new string lengthens during the very first session it is shot and then stays at it's new length, i.e. does not recover it's shorter length. I have to say the last time I shot a Dacron string was in about 1983 so my memory about whether my Dacron strings were creeping or stretching is pretty hazy. Whereas Viper1 may have last shot a Dacron string earlier today.
This sounds like you are saying the brace height is lower during shooting and returns to normal at home? I think "Stretch" is what keeps your string from acting like piano wire. It stretches at the shot and recovers instantly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts