Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering cause my recurve is 25# and i was wondering if i can get a string with 16 strands insted of 10 is it ok i am just going to be target shooting at my house with it

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
It won't hurt the bow to use the heavier string. Any particular reason why you want a 16 strand?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it is just the guy i am going to get it has 16 strand ones but no 10 strand ones he can meke me one but i want to get one right away.

·
Registered
20,536 Posts
neil, VM -

FIRST - We're assuming you're talking about dacron, right?

IF so, then:

For some reason both Brownell and BCY are now (all of a sudden) recommending 16 strand dacron strings across the board :confused: . A lot of new (darcon only) bows are comimg with 16 strand strings too :confused: :confused:. I don't get it, except for the fact that it's easier to make a one size fits all string - go figure.

The biggest problem you'll have is nock fit. A #25 bow should be using 1716s or there abouts and they take 1/4" nocks - that's going to be tight. There'll also be some speed loss. If you desperately need a string go ahead and use it, but order one from one of the larger distributers or a custom string from one of the guys here like Chad (LBR). "Technically" a #25 bow calls for a 10 strand string, but these days I don't go below 12. I think 12 has a better feel, even on the lighter bows.

IF you're taking about the any of the newer materials:

Seems like they defy the laws of Physics and do use a one size fits all principle :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: Sorry can't help ya with that, my bows won't let me use anything but dacron ;)

Viper1 out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts