Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am fairly new to string building. I have been doing it for about 4 or 5 months now. I am using BCY 452x material and love it. Recently Many people have told me they use different formulas for the cable. What material do you use for your cables and how many strands do you tipically use? I am open to any formula from any company. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am by no means a string expert but I use 24 strands of 452X. I dont believe there is a more stable material out there and using 24 strands gives you a balanced cable if you make a static yoke. I will be following this thread to see any other opinions.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
BCY 452X or Brownell Ultra Cam is as good as it gets for the cables.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I always use 452X for cables, and Im pretty partial to BCY products. Not saying Brownell, etc are any better/worse....its just BCY 452X has given zero issues to many people, and I wish not to put extra money into multiple brands.
The 452X is extremely stable and only accounts for a couple fps, if any. To me, the stability far outweighs the couple fps that you might get with 8125. Plus, you are much better off with a stable cable, and the cable doesnt factor into speed difference. If someone really wants the extra 2 fps, I might make a 452 cable with a 8125 string.
As for strand count and serving size, I'll usually match up diameters to the OEM size that the bow was designed with. Most cases is a 24 strand cable with .014 Halo end serve. The only time I deviate is when Im trying to get something different out of the bow....stiffer wall, more holding weight, etc. Just beware when you change diameter, you may change things like max poundage, letoff, etc.
Good luck.

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. It seems I am doing it just fine now. Ill just stick with what I am doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts