Archery Talk Forum banner

Strings, Foating or Static Yoke?????

604 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Buster of Xs
There is a topic about floating yoke strings being a better choice for strings than a static yoke. I'd like to hear what some of you guys think about it, if it will make it easier to tune my bow's (Mathews) with a floating yoke verse's the static yoke then I'd think it's the way to go. Because one person made a comment that that's all "Cracker's" make's is floating yoke, but I don't know if that is true or not.

Looking for everyone's comment's:shade::shade:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Oconto River Bowmen
1,673 Posts
This may not be right but this is what I think. When you look at a floating yolk where it comes to the V it is a sharp angle under alot of tension. I don't see how it could move much if at all. If it does move they way people say how could you have any control over cam lean by twisitng one side. Over time as it moves it would just make the string shorter not correcting any lean issues. Like I said it may not be right but common sense tells me it might be.

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,081 Posts
Yep, discussed many a time and you'll never get people to agree on this. I shoot Hoyt and I've experimented a fair deal with both and I will say, WITHOUT HESITATION, that I think a static is the way to go.

In all the arguments I've seen and/or been a part of, I've never had anyone actually demonstrate or prove any benefit of a floating over a static. I've only heard people say you shouldn't "need" a static yoke. Well, perhaps, that may be true in some cases but since there is no explicit benefit of a floating and since a static will allow you to fine tune many bows to a degree that you simply can't achieve, I've always found a static to be the best option.

Another point worth mentioning is that Winner's Choice, the #1 quality after-market string maker makes static yokes and advises Hoyt shooters to use a static yoke (although they will certainly make you a floating yoke if you want it). They've got lots of experience with this stuff and have lots of contacts from top shooters. There's a reason they advise people to go with the static yoke.

But do as you wish. I can pretty much guarantee you that if you can't tune your bow with a static yoke there's no way you're going to be any more capable of doing so with a floating yoke - and there's a good chance you'll be less capable.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
I've used both. But since I'm a tweaker, tinkerer, tuner, gearhead I prefer a static yoke. I've noticed that, especially on longer bows, you can eliminate lean/twist and this adds up to a bow that tunes easier with a broader range of arrow spines. It also makes it easier to find centershot with a measuring tape and bow square.

But a bow certainly can be tuned with a floater, too. It's just a matter of how far you want to delve into tuning your machine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.