Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.....i am in need of a new string....the original is about done for. My bow came from the factory with Winners Choice on it. My local shot can custom build a string for about 40 to 45 $. Winners choice are gonna run me about 90 ish. Are the winners choice worth the extra money ? Should i just have the local shop build a set ? Wadda ya think ?
Thanks!!

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I think W/C are definitely worth the extra $...but if you don't have it or aren't allowed to part with it; then PM BuckNasty here on AT and he'll make you a set for $50.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc.......anyone else have any input ? Thanks again !

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
If the guy at the shop makes decent strings then I'd tend to give him a try. Is that price for a whole set or just the string. Pretty high for a string alone. You could ask him for references and see what kind of feedback you get.

Barring that I'd PM Bucknasty right here on AT. He should be back from his elk hunt about now. He'll make you a set for a reasonable price and they are good. I've used Prostrings and Winner's Choice in the past (WC's are on my hunting bow presently) and his strings compare very favorably at about half the cost, shipping included.

It might take him a while to catch up as he's been running a little behind. He spends way too much time on several forums, LOL.

·
EPLC Stabilization 4-Sale
9,449 Posts
lofreq said:
I have a question.....i am in need of a new string....the original is about done for. My bow came from the factory with Winners Choice on it. My local shot can custom build a string for about 40 to 45 $. Winners choice are gonna run me about 90 ish. Are the winners choice worth the extra money ? Should i just have the local shop build a set ? Wadda ya think ?
Thanks!!
"IF" your local shop knows what he is doing then don't spend the extra money... Of course you'll have to do some research to find out.

Strings and cables are only as good as the skill level of the person building them. Type of material, number of strands, how the servings are applied and other factors can really impact the quality of the string/cable set. If you are unsure, go with the WC as you can't go wrong with a quality brand.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
Bucknasty has my full endorsement when I'm not endorsing Deezlin.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Slippy Field said:
Bucknasty has my full endorsement when I'm not endorsing Deezlin.
Thanks, Slippy Field. I like to make strings and I do as good as job as any company. I have been making a few strings, but I don't want to get over committed. I am suppose to start shipping the new jigs next week, which is going to require most of my spare time.

·
Remember.. Archery is fun
3,323 Posts
Deezlin said:
Thanks, Slippy Field. I like to make strings and I do as good as job as any company. I have been making a few strings, but I don't want to get over committed. I am suppose to start shipping the new jigs next week, which is going to require most of my spare time.
Glad I ordered my set early :wink:

Nick

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
lofreg,The answer to your question is,yes the winners choice are worth the extra money.In the end,you wont regret it.They will last a long time,with no peep rotation or other agrivation.Well worth the investment.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I say take the gamble

If the shop is making the strings for customers, they're probably at least OK. I make my own strings, and strings for friends, and I won't buy any body else's strings. You may discover a great string for half the price. You shouldn't pay much than $50.00 for a set (strings and cables), most on here will make you a set for that much.

I have bought the crappy strings in the plastic tubes and they've lasted at least a year. I imagine if the string performs poorly, he'd take care of you.

Good Luck, Let us know what you decide,
Ben

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys guys ! I saw a set the shop guy built tonight at the range and they LOOKED fine but i really cant tell...i'm still pretty new at this.
Here's what i'm faced with .... I have a contracting business so in the summer when things are good,i can afford a few more things than in the summer,where its all about surviving till spring. I need these strings to perform as near to flawless through the indoor season as much as possible.
This guy has been in business for 20 + years so he must be ok but i dont wanna throw my eggs in the wrong basket......

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
If you've got the money, then WC is worth every penny. Once bitten, twice shy. Buy WC and don't get bitten.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
630 Posts
R&A definately

R&A strings are what i use! They're wonderful! its only $50 and that is shipped tyd and as soon as they have your confirmation your order is shipped out the next day! is that customer service or what??!? Both guys are great to work with--if you have any questions check them out in the classifieds.

hope this helps
give them a try-you WON'T be dissappointed!
shoot straight,
Miranda

1 - 15 of 15 Posts