Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blade Maker
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored sitting at my desk this morning waiting for an email. I have a couple Montec 125 heads laying on my desk that I was using for target practice(I have a broad head target setup in the basement) :wink: I grabbed the heads and used a pad of paper to strop them on. WOW the paper cleaned the edges up great and they are shaving sharp again!! Just passing it along to all you sharpening guru's and wanted to get some feedback. I know the paper is an abrasive material but I am impressed with the results.

·
Blade Maker
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried stropping with news paper last night(I remember my dad telling me about this) and it did a great job as well. It really made a nice mirror finish on the edges.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Try using the back side of sand paper that is what we use for polishing pool cues, i'm sure it would work great for this too.:secret:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
AC: Thanks for the tip. I tried this last night. My montecs will really pop those rubber bands with ease. I didn't realize until recently how important stropping is. I'm not sure many people realize what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
As I was biying some scrap pieces of leather at Tandy Leather last night(to make a strope) the store clerk told me he has used a business card and jewelers rouge to sharpen up blades.

·
Registered
360 Posts
So then the old statement is true....

"The pen is mightier than the sword" - if it stands up to the punishment of paper all day, day after day....

:shade:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Whats stropping?:confused:

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
A peice of blue jeans works well also.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,388 Posts
mbklmann said:
Whats stropping?:confused:
In the past,
a piece of heavy leather (long strip)
and then some polishing compound or paste (jewelers rouge)

and then wiping the blade back and forth

edge to your left...moving the blade to the right

flip over the blade...
edge to your right...moving the blade to the left

This polishes the edge razor sharp.

Final sharpening step for woodworking chisels,
a knife or in this case broadheads.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Stropping is using mildly abrasive surface, usually leather to align the burr edge of a blade and make it RRREEEAAALLLYYY sharp!.

The method is to drag the edge backwards quickly over the surface, flip it towards the back of the blade and go the other way.

It was common way back when barbers used straight razors. It is pretty neat to see an experienced barber do it.

(I posted too slow again)

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
copterdoc said:
Stropping is using mildly abrasive surface, usually leather to align the burr edge of a blade and make it RRREEEAAALLLYYY sharp!.

The method is to drag the edge backwards quickly over the surface, flip it towards the back of the blade and go the other way.

It was common way back when barbers used straight razors. It is pretty neat to see an experienced barber do it.

(I posted too slow again)
Way back? I guess I am that old. My dad was a barber and I remember him doing that. He could make that straight razor POP on every pass. Three straps about two feet long and 4" wide, hanging on the chair. One dark, one reddish, and one tan.

Butchers do basically the same thing with a steel. Once the knife is sharp it isn't hard to keep them that way.

Stropping on paper though, I've never heard of that. I'll try it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I really wanted to touch up my blades.... but

I didn't have anything to hold the blades at the right angle. I already spent enough money this season... so I was kind of bummed. I was looking around, and I spotted my Bitz fletching clamp... perfect. It didn't hold the blades great, and I had to watch them, but did a much better job than my hand. So now my blades are polished nice.. what a difference. The Muzzys are more than ready.

BTW
If anyone is in the communication industry and do fiber optic work.. the Fiber optic buffing material works great. Started with 5 micron to 3 micron to .5 micron. Great.... I'm happy..

next year I will have a lansky to help out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts