Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my Strykeforce cocking device broke in mid pull. The rope broke and the pulley on the right flew out into the yard (never to be found again).

Thank goodness my local dealer (Marcotech in Glen Burnie, MD) had some of these in stock.

After I bought the new one, I examined the old device and noticed there are set screws holding the pulley pin in place.

I took out the allen wrenches and I got two full turns on one of the set screws on the new device.

Now I'm wondering if the set screw on the old one was loose and just gave loose...but that wouldn't explain the rope breaking!!!

So, check your set screws and rope!!!

·
Mad Arrow Slinger
10,523 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me twice last year and I was so scared of it happening again that I ended up selling the strykeforce.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
Always used

an Excal rope cocker with the SF and DS.

·
Registered
303 Posts
New Strykeforce

I bought a new StrykeForce and shot it for the first time last week. Not too many shots into the first shooting session I felt a small pop as I was drawing. When I hooked the cocker up for the next shot I noticed that the right hand rope was a bit longer than the left side. I took the handle apart and found that one of the two knots that were tied to hold the handle had slipped through the hole and the second knot looked as if it might slip through too.
I tied a couple more knots in the line and shortened the the other side to match. Afterwards I had to pull slightly back on the string to hook the sled over the string, but it seemed easier to handle that way also the up stroke was a bit shorter.

I do have an Excalibur cocking rope that I could use. I have heard that the cocking sled set-up is more accurate than just the rope so i have been using that and the accuracy so far is outstanding. I don't however like the idea that the knot could pull through or rope could break sending that sled at 350 FPS towards my right foot! Is the sled more accurate? Would I notice the difference between the two? The Excalibur seems like it would be easier and quieter to tote around.

·
Registered
780 Posts
The sheld is no more accurate in string allignment then the conventional rope cocker you just have to make sure you use your index fingers to squeeze the cocking hooks aganst the sides of the flight rail as you start to pull back on the string and you will get the same shot every time;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Mtn_hunter

Every sled I have seen or talked to SF owners about have said the same thing.
I used locktite and re-tied the knots and have not have any issues to date.
I only use the sled when bench shooting long range target. It seems to do a little better job in the accuracy department..... just heavy and the chance metal to metal clank rules it out for hunting gear !
The Excal rope cocker is without a doubt the best to pack in and out of the woods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts