Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently put an sts on my bow and now it is louder than before. I can't figure out what could be causing this to happen. Every bolt on the bow and sts are tight. Any ideas? thanks

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I have not seen a STS on any bow that didnt give just a lil sound.
You are probibly hearing a thumping sound coming from the string hitting the stopper.
You need to play with it, moving it back and forth till you find the sweet spot where it is the quietest.
Mine is about 2mm off the string on my 334 and is pushed into the string on my 337, each bow is a lil different.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
mdewitt71 said:
I have not seen a STS on any bow that didnt give just a lil sound.
You are probibly hearing a thumping sound coming from the string hitting the stopper.
You need to play with it, moving it back and forth till you find the sweet spot where it is the quietest.
Mine is about 2mm off the string on my 334 and is pushed into the string on my 337, each bow is a lil different.
Good Advice!!:)
I am a firm believer that string suppressors are a worth while addition to 99% of the bows out there. Too many positive reviews!:)

Here is one of mine in Max-4

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love the way my bow shoots with it on and have no intentions on taking it off but it just seems loud considering it's on a hunting setup.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Ever bow is different. Some like it pushed into. Some sound better with it an 1/8" off the string.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Every bow is different. I was converting my CR 337 for hunting, and had to rotate the STS down to make room for a wrist sling, so it's now further from the center of the string. It ended up making a big difference. I second the string supressors. I also added two Bowjax supressors to my string, and the combination now is very quiet.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
hunter3d said:
Thanks for the info. I will play with it tonight and see what happens.
Are we still talking about the STS here?:) You know, I've been noticing my bow is loud, but I never gave it much thought because its on my 3-D bow. I'm thinking of just using it for hunting now, and the sound has to come way down! I'll have to try to move mine around a little too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I tried one on my Martin Cougar III and experienced the same. And yes, I did play with it for a few days. I just think some bows react to the sts different. It does do a nice job of eliminating handshock though. I eventually took mine off and sold it. It was my hunting bow and I really didn't like the extra weight and wanted the bow to be quiet so I just put my string whiskers back on. I think the sts is a great product for deadening a bow but you will see that it does not make "All" bows quiet. Just my .02

·
Registered
358 Posts
lotsa good advice here

on moving that STS around to find that sweet spot. Also strung up a pair of leeches on my Ally, and now she's whisper quiet. :secret:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts