Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wish I had researched this before attempting because then I would have read about using a drill bit inside the shaft like an inside out slide hammer......but anyway, I removed a damaged insert by screwing a wood screw into the insert, heating it with the stove and pulling it out......Would you still trust this arrow? Its a Gold Tip XT Hunter, and I figured if the heat damaged the arrow it would only be at the tip, thus not breaking in the middle where the back half could shoot through my hand?

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,604 Posts
The problem with using the stove was you probably heated the end of the shaft while heating the tip. You could have also slightly damage the carbon fibers when you screwed the wood screw into it. The wood screw pushed outward as it was being screwed into the insert. No one can guess how much you heated the fibers or how hard the screw was to turn. You are the only one that knows....................

I pull on the filed tip with pliers while heating (just the tip) with a propane torch. The moment the glue gets warm the insert slides right and the shaft gets dunked in a cup of water. The shaft barely gets warm.

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with using the stove was you probably heated the end of the shaft while heating the tip. You could have also slightly damage the carbon fibers when you screwed the wood screw into it. The wood screw pushed outward as it was being screwed into the insert. No one can guess how much you heated the fibers or how hard the screw was to turn. You are the only one that knows....................

I pull on the filed tip with pliers while heating (just the tip) with a propane torch. The moment the glue gets warm the insert slides right and the shaft gets dunked in a cup of water. The shaft barely gets warm.
It probably did heat the end up a good bit....is there any way to test it (by bending or something) or should I just throw it away?

· She's baaaaack!!!!
20,604 Posts
It may be slightly warped if it got too hot. Roll the arrow on a flat surface.

Can you see any discoloration in the first inch or so of the arrow? If there is it probably got too hot.

Install a new point and insert. Grip the tip and Flex the shaft. Look for slight cracks. If there is damage the insert may install crooked causing the tip to wobble when you spin it.

Personally, if I couldn't find a problem I'd shoot it. But I can't recommend that to anyone else.

· bowaholic
1,964 Posts
I'd say if you think you got it really hot from the stove I would just toss it cause it may not do anything for a few shots then it could fail and to me it's not worth the $7.00-$8.00 for the tossed arrow. But again that's just me.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.