Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Fishing Guide
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for a change, so I took a seasonal job with Alaska Fish and Game working on a remote salmon weir near Haines. Had to bring a couple Omegas up to practice and maybe get some hunting done. Didn't bring a target but old Sitka spruce stumps make great targets... and the scenery is amazing.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
25,683 Posts
Some of my best hunts were hunting those islands for black bears in the spring. It’s a different world in that thick rainforest for sure.

·
Bowhunter Emeritus
513 Posts
Great post CaptJJ. I have a good family friend who was a fisheries biologist on that very project. He retired and moved down to the lower 48 about 15 years ago. Really interesting to hear about his work and his Alaska adventures. He and his wife lived there for ~20 years... lots of great stories and album after album of wonderful pics.

Great seasonal gig you got yourself. Enjoy!

·
Fishing Guide
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, it happened fast, didn't know what I was going to do 2 months ago. Was supposed to start my 24 year of guiding, lost my dock and couldn't find a new one. Things happen for a reason, was getting burned out and now as happy as I could be.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I lived on Kodiak island for 6 years. That island will always be a special place with me. Looking forward to getting back soon. When I was stationed there in the early 2000s, we set up an archery range on the Coast Guard property on Anton Larsen rd. Key to the gate can be checked out at Military Police CG Base where I was stationed. Unfortunately there’s not much of an archery scene in Alaska, let alone Kodiak Island. I did my share of flinging arrows while I was up there.
There’s no boring place in Alaska. SE AK, North Slope, Kodiak Island, it’s all prime outdoor and mostly public hunting!

Enjoy the stumping and scenery. You will never forget it!!

·
Fishing Guide
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JJ, Check for openings with Kodiak Aquaculture Association. One of the supervisors hired me for a 2 week gig during the summer sockeye salmon egg-take in Karluk Lake. Lots of work but an experience I’ll never forget.
I already have a job until October 15th with Fish and Game, also applied for a similar position on Kodiak on the Karluk River.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Unfortunately there’s not much of an archery scene in Alaska, let alone Kodiak Island
Pretty big archery scene in southcentral AK (Anchorage and valley). State competitions, 3d shoots, fun shoots, indoor all year round. The local archery shop is busy day in and day out.
The reason archery isn't big in places like Southeast and Kodiak is there's simply no shops there nor any decent public ranges that I'm aware of. If there was, they'd make a killing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts