Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right before bow season starts i end up fracturing my foot riding my dirtbike, isnt that just my luck, ive put a lot of time scouting with my dad and shooting and i felt like this year was going to be the best so far and i end up doing such a bonheaded thing, have any of you hurt your self before season?? im trying to think of a way to still be able to walk on it so i can hunt because i cant take crutches in the woods.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I have 4 damaged discs in my neck with the C5 & C6 severely damaged.Numbness in the arms and constant pain.I see a neurosurgeon on Sept.11 to go over some options.Don't know how hunting season is gonna pan out this year but it doesn't look too promising right now.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Dont feel bad I broke my L upper arm 2 days before the 86 season
on my yz 250, had a pin for a year.
Also broke my L forearm into 18 or so peices (that was all they could find) before the 99 season it kept me out of the woods for 2 years:cry: It also shortened my draw 1 1/2". Then last week I got hit with a peice of ductwork and have 28 stitches into my L forearm once again:mad: but that should be ok soon enough.
Id say break a leg but a foot is close enough:wink: maby its a good year to hunt from a ground blind they have always treated me well.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
i got hit by a car going 55mph last week july found out yesterday have acl reconstruction on sept27. so im gonna hunt w/ a limp until then trying not to completely tear the thing way out in the middle of nowhere. bear season opens friday, deer on the 15th. hopefully the rut isnt completely out of the question w/ some good rehab

·
Banned
919 Posts
I bowhunting two years ago with torn cartilage in my shoulder and had to grunt to pull the bow back!!! Had surgery october 26th and opening day of rifle season the neighbor shot the 12 pointer 22' inside spread 50 yards from my tree stand!!! I had seen him twice and was narrowing the gap on him!!!

When i was in H.S. I sprained mcl and acl in knee and had to use crutches and a brace that kept leg straight but still made it in the woods. You will just have to hunt field edges and get a ride to blind!! If you want to hunt bad enough crutches will make it in the woods!!! Don't let that stop you!!!!

Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Stuff happens. Just because you get hurt doing something that takes some nerve; doesn't make you "stupid." It's all part of that "game." You could say your luck isn't too good this time though. :wink:
I don't know if they still do it, but years back I broke an ankle playing hockey and they put on a "walking cast" that worked out pretty well for me. Major club on my leg, but I was mobile. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,884 Posts
You didn't say how badly it was broken. Did they put a walking cast on? You could pick up a backpack designed to carry bows. That will get you into the woods but I suggest that you stay out of any tree stands.
:crutch:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Sure you can

I hunted with a broken leg in the 2004 season. I used crutches in the woods. I didnt have a cast they put a rod in my leg with pins. and I gun hunted that season. I shot two hogs and could have killed a doe but opted not to shoot. Get you a ground blind or hunt from the ground. Injurerys stop you from doing things to the point that you let them. I had 5 bypass surgery this May and I was shooting my bow in July. Get creative about how you will hunt and you just may have your best season ever. Your biggest problem might be how to drag big boy out of the woods.

Good luck to you, now go hunt

Mike

·
Registered
636 Posts
Last year. November 10th. Season opened Nov 11.

I was scouting early on the 10th and suddenly remembered I forgot my tag at home. Quick 380 mile trip home to retrieve the tag. On the way back to camp my wife was driving and I was sleeping. She fell asleep at the wheel. 80 mph three roll rollover.

Wife ended up in the hospital for 4 weeks. I just had a lot of soft tissue damage so I was released from the emergency room...but could not walk on my own.

One week later a friend went to camp with me to retrieve my trailer with his truck. On the way over the pass to get the trailer I spotted a nice buck chasing some does around in a clearing. I wanted so freakin bad to go after that buck. He was no trophey, but he was nice.

I got to camp and grabbed my bow and set out a target to shoot. I could not pull the bow. Back muscles were torn and no way I could draw. So I got my fly rod and went fishing with my buddy. We had a great time fishing and I should be happy about that.

All stories end on a good note!

I got the same tag this year! And I heard my buck is still on the mountain and he's bigger this year! Can you say Do Over!

Nate

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
doctor said if i ice and keep it elevated every day i should be back riding in a month, so id say three weeks in the woods as riding is more stressfull on the foot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts