Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all!

So, as my post count would indicate, I am pretty new to this sport, loving it though!

Quick question, I see most archers at my local club with a pouch on their belts, it looks like they carry around a release aid inside.

I cannot understand why? I put mine in my pocket, or, since its a thumb release, I lock it onto my string and leave it there, and carry the bow around like that.

But it dawned on me, that 90% of people have one, so perhaps I am missing the importance of this?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. :)

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Afternoon all!

So, as my post count would indicate, I am pretty new to this sport, loving it though!

Quick question, I see most archers at my local club with a pouch on their belts, it looks like they carry around a release aid inside.

I cannot understand why? I put mine in my pocket, or, since its a thumb release, I lock it onto my string and leave it there, and carry the bow around like that.

But it dawned on me, that 90% of people have one, so perhaps I am missing the importance of this?

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question. :)
One guy shows up with one on week one.... by week two almost everyone else has one. It’s that archery thing!

Do your own thing, be your own brand of man......(or woman, whatever the case may be)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok, good!

So it's just a trend, and there's no real reason?

Works for me, one less thing I have to buy :)

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Because pants pockets are tight and are not quick to get a release in or out of. They have that pouch so that they can put release in there, without struggle, nock the next arrow, then grab the release and hook on. And repeat. In a competition you don't want to be on the line fumbling to get a release out of your pants pocket.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Is it necessary? No. Is it convenient? Absolutely. The problem with putting a hinge in your pocket is the thumb peg. Gets caught up. The pouch just makes things easier. Plus, you get to look like the cool kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I shot 3D last weekend in over 100 degree temps while carrying a hinge in my front pocket. Next time I'll have a pouch, if for nothing else, to keep my release dry and sweat free.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
0.0% chance I would put my release in my pocket and pull it back out again for every shot of an entire field round. The pouch is too convenient not to use.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,127 Posts
And..... In a release pouch all that is there is a release. In your pants pocket you usually have keys, change wallet, etc. Things like that will scrape and ding a release and ruin the finish.

I also carry a spare release in pouch in my release bag.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of the input guys!

I am just getting started, maybe next year I will add it to the list, I am saving up for the Synapse at the moment, patiently waiting for it to come to Canada. :D

Anyone else have it / like it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could tell you were a fellow Canadian by the 'Sorry' in the title :cheers:

·
Back Yard Champion
29,779 Posts
I have a pouch for my hand held releases on the belt and zipper pocket on the side of my belt/hip quiver that will hold 2 easy. Also have a pouch for my glasses - can't see to set my sight scale without them and can't shoot with them on.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,534 Posts
I would also not leave the release hooked to the loop and carry around the bow in that manner. It’s a good way to wear our you loop and string faster and you may lose the release. A pouch is a cheap and worthwhile investment. You don’t need an “archery” pouch. A chalk bag for rock climbing is perfect and probably where the idea of a pouch came from.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is one of those things that is not necessary but is very convenient for those with a hand-held release. I always use releases with a wrist strap so I just wear mine at all times.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
I slide mine in the watch pocket of my jeans, I shoot a Stan heavy metal Shootoff and if fits tight and I can feel it there because of the weight!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts