Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill start:

Opening day was today, pulled into my hunting spot where i park my truck and get out, reach over to grab my camo and honnk my damn horn....

Then tonight just before dark, I decided to try out the new asat camo by sitting inside of a bush...a decent 8 point and a doe come walking in, well somehow they spot me right away...I am very careful with my scent, so I sit as still as can be, they shake it off and start wandering around I wait for him to go behind a tree, draw my bow back while sitting down because she was still looking at me, well somehow my asat pants got wrapped around my cam and I didnt want to shoot so I started to let back down and he looks at me snorts and they run off....

· Registered
5,756 Posts
The horn is pretty funnny.:ROFLMAO:

last monday my girl and i get to the stand around 4:30 in the morning. I usually work but took the day off to go hunting. So around six o'clock while in the stand my cell phone alarm goes off to wake me up. :horn: Yeah it was dead quiet and i was freaking out and fumbling around to turn the thing off. My girl looks at me and says whats your problem. I just forgot to turn it off.

We all do stupid things.:wink:

· Registered
3,527 Posts
The horn is pretty funnny.:ROFLMAO:

last monday my girl and i get to the stand around 4:30 in the morning. I usually work but took the day off to go hunting. So around six o'clock while in the stand my cell phone alarm goes off to wake me up. :horn: Yeah it was dead quiet and i was freaking out and fumbling around to turn the thing off. My girl looks at me and says whats your problem. I just forgot to turn it off.

We all do stupid things.:wink:

I did that last year but the cell phone was a call from my wife while I was at full draw waiting for a doe to take 1 more step.Yea she asked if i caught anything yet

· Registered
2,292 Posts
left my summit viper in the woods (private land) while I went to lunch. Any body have a climber for sale?:mad:

Josh

· Registered
32 Posts
Late last year i had a doe and a fawn come down the trail, i was waiting for the doe to get behind a tree and i was going to draw. Just before her head is behind the tree my phone starts vibrating. OOPS! Now they can hear this but dont have the slightest idea as to where its coming from. Both are slowly backing away looking in every possible direction while im sitting there for what seemed like an eternity for that stupid thing to stop. It does and after a minute or so they continue down the trail, when the doe is behind the tree i draw and let her fly... watched her go down. Never in a million years thought i would get a shot off. heh heh

· Registered
1,999 Posts
well i had an almost....i went out saturday for my first hunt and i got out of the car pulled everything out of my trunk, get it all situated, all my clothes changed, and everything ready to go. well about 2hrs into the hunt i realized when i changed, i rolled up my pants (w/keys in pocket) and put them in the trunk :) normally i wouldnt have worried, but i also had a laptop on the passanger seat and was pretty sure i had locked the doors beins i only park about 20yrds off the road. well i figured id just finish the rest of the hunt (no point ruining that right) and call for someone to come bail me out (one hour drive) if i needed it. fortunatly i didnt lock one of the doors, and everything was hunkydory. but like i said - i had an almost:tongue:

· Registered
4,544 Posts
O.K. here's my first one. Went out for the first time Monday and had my first experience with a climber(Summit 180). Got the climbing thing figured out but I'm sure I used up more energy then I could have. :awkward: Well I wasn't sure how much pull rope to use so I had some extra when I got up to where I wanted and went to pull the bow up and the rope had looped around my quiver and the bow was coming up sideways. I thought well if I am careful it should be alright. About 2 feet later "boing" the quiver pops off and hits the ground... so down the tree I go more :awkward:. As soon as I get back up(sweaty and very tired) and get the bow AND quiver in the stand I looked over and saw a doe about 45 yards away feeding and thought man that deer has to be deaf cause she didn't pay me any attention. Didn't get a shot but saw 3 deer but boy am I still sore.

· Registered
2,946 Posts
Yeah, locked my truck on opening morning only to forget that I left my binoculars in my truck... Tried to unlock my truck with the keypad and the damn horn goes off! Then, I get to the woods only to find a perfect spot. There is one tree I can get my climber in and I need to hurry because its getting light. Get the climber apart and put it around the tree, and I find out that I need the belt to be about three inches longer... So I fumble around putting it back together when 3 deer see me! So, needless to say I sat on the ground and saw absolutely nothing. Get back out to the truck, and I see that I dropped my thermacell. So, another half mile back to where I sat to grab it and I cant find it... A morning to remember I guess!

· Registered
2,489 Posts
How about using your 40 yrd pin on a 9 point at 28 yds.

I shoot about 12" high under those conditions:embara: Had another shot on at him but after a little more study figured him to be shy of 125 and definitely shy of the 140 mark I had my goal set for. I guess a miss isn't all bad, especially on the 2nd day of a 4 month season:tongue:

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Knowingly packed my elk to a road that is frequented with F&G trucks...I don't care what anyone here thinks, they (Jack booted Thugs in this area) will find something to get you for...even when you have done everything you think you possibly can to avoid a ticket :mad:
stupid!stupid!stupid!

What is worse is they woulda gone right by, except my dad made another stupid by volunteering that we were coming down, "I guess they musta got one..." he tells them....:cry: I wasn't tryin to get away with anything but a good memory and a legally taken animal! So much for having a good experience and making a perfect dl shot:crybaby2:
And they wonder why there are so many people unwilling to sportsmen when they go asking for help...they won't be getting any help from me anymore. Too bad for us both.

· Registered
351 Posts
Well first chance I got to go I drove out to the farm got dressed got my bow and release but could not find my range finder. So I take my release off my wrist and begain searching a few minutes later I find it and take of on my 1/2 mile walk :walk: when I get to my blind I realise I left my release back at the truck so by the time I got it and returned It was starting to get daylight and I spooked dear off the feeder:elch:, DANG couldn't tell what they were hope just some does.

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
took off this afternoon and left my quvier at home so I turned around and got my dang arrows. made it to were I was heading found a spot sit up and at 6:00 I had a thumper 8 at 40 yards. I wanted to wait for a closer shot and I let him catch my wind. He bolted but never blew figure its over now though. Oh yeah I accdently turned my phone on loud while leaving my stand and sure enough someone decides to call while I am only 100 yards from my stand;.

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
Knowingly packed my elk to a road that is frequented with F&G trucks...I don't care what anyone here thinks, they (Jack booted Thugs in this area) will find something to get you for...even when you have done everything you think you possibly can to avoid a ticket :mad:
stupid!stupid!stupid!

What is worse is they woulda gone right by, except my dad made another stupid by volunteering that we were coming down, "I guess they musta got one..." he tells them....:cry: I wasn't tryin to get away with anything but a good memory and a legally taken animal! So much for having a good experience and making a perfect dl shot:crybaby2:
And they wonder why there are so many people unwilling to sportsmen when they go asking for help...they won't be getting any help from me anymore. Too bad for us both.
what did theyy get you for??

· Registered
7,780 Posts
Before light I hike about two miles into this drainage to hunt elk. About light it starts to rain so I pull out my new sitka 90% jacket. I then put it on and glass for a couple minutes and see some elk on the opposite ridge. Then a bull fires off right below me and I figure I am going to get to hot chasing with my coat on so I decide to strap it to my pack:BangHead: So I take off chasing elk!!! 8 hours later and some 7 miles of wondering/chasing I arrive back at camp. It begins to rain a little and I am a little chilled so I go to my pack to pull off my new jacket to find I donated it to the mountain:embara:

· Registered
1,598 Posts
Opening weekend I climbed a tree that I had not hunted in before, apparently missed a few small branches with the saw....when coming back down after dropping my quiver I got the foot portion of my climber stuck twice on those stupid little branches. I finally get my quiver that I had just dropped, get back up in the tree and get a shot at a mature doe 15 minutes later. I hit a tree branch the size of my pinky and missed the dear at 15 yards. Got a second shot at another doe 10 minutes later and shot underneath it at 25 yards. Guess thats hunting.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
Last year me and a friend of mine were heading out to a big area of cat tail sloughs to do some rattling. Very calm and quiet morning. We got all of our gear and as I was putting my keys in my pocket I hit my "panic" button on my remote.

Man did that make some noise. I guess it didn't make a difference though. We rattled in a really nice five by five but couldn't finish the deal.

Fun and a good story nonetheless

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.