Archery Talk Forum banner

? success on the road

465 5
I see all these people just get up and go to these new grounds , even out of state for vacations . Just wondering how much success you guy's or girls get with such little scouting of these areas? I know sometimes first time in can be good. For me sometimes it can take a while to figure them out .
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
I've wondered the same myself. A little different scenario but 2 years ago my buddy and I hunted a new-to-us area. Other firends have hunted this area in the past and gave us all their GPS points, maps, etc and basically told us exactly where to go. It was weird to be in an "unknown area" on opening morning with no scouting. We did end up getting in to many elk and a couple excellent bulls but I can't imagine that same trip without the advanced knowledge from friend familiar with the area.

· Registered
390 Posts
It can be done...

With all of the tools and technology today... it isn't all that hard to find decent to quality places to hunt without scouting it. We have been in the middle of elk before w know it in totally unknown places that we just decided looked good. Its better to know the terrain to help aid in calling, stalking, etc. but it isn't necessarily required.

· Registered
4,706 Posts
Getting an aerial photo and a topo map of the land is a great start!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.