Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea of the success rate of Crossbow hunters? Iowa lumps them in with the bow hunters so no way to have any idea. My second year hunting and never had a clean shot I felt comfortable with. Any suggestions?

·
Anti Fanboy
42,901 Posts
I do not have any specific data on that. But I can give you my personal data on crossbow hunting success rate.

I hunted with verticals for many years then had to go to a crossbow due to a physical condition. I hunt the same places with my crossbow as I did with my verticals. Shot distances are the same. I still fill all four of my tags every year just like I did with my verticals.

Nothing has changed with my success rate since I went to a crossbow.

The main aspects of my hunting that has changed is I find it more difficult to pack a crossbow, they are heavier and more bulky in general, when compared to a vertical.

I find the two positive aspects of a crossbow are I do not have to draw it when shooting at a critter, and the scope. With a very bad shoulder and bad vision, the crossbow really shines in those departments.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I would think crossbows excel. Less movement.When shooting. Makes a difference. I am in Iowa too. Have been using my crossbow in Iowa for 10 yrs now. Bad scoliosis back. Have had very good success.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would have to believe that the success rate would be above that of conventional archery equipment as my own experience here in New Jersey has proved since turning to the crossbow.

·
Back down to ground level
16,326 Posts
NJ bow kill numbers stayed about the same since crossbows were introduced. If you're asking about personal success rates, I would think less deer are being mortally wounded and lost with a crossbow, but I don't know if any surveys were done on the matter of lost deer, or if they could be done honestly.

·
Registered
97 Posts
According to our annual report. Success rate hasn't changed in the past 6 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts