Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A group of 3 made the trek to Magnolia, Arkansas from Bloomington, IL for a wild hog hunt. We headed out early Thursday afternoon since our hunt ran from Noon on Friday till Noon on Sunday. Around a 12 hour drive but really a pretty easy drive and some good eats along the way in Sikeston, MO and Memphis, TN!

I planned this about 2 weeks prior to leaving so we were going with some blind faith and on the word of the owner that this wasn’t going to be a joke or hunting in a fish bowl. This was a property with 4.4 miles of fence but now knowing what WILD hogs are like, I think it would be real tough to even see a hog in 2 days if they were truly free ranging.

The hogs quickly learned they were being hunted and adapted accordingly – they can smell humans as well as whitetails. Primarily tree stand hunting was used as you could not see much more than 10 yards at a time unless on a cutover, wallow, or an ATV trail.

I was fortunate enough to strike first on a 220lb sow within the first hour of hunting. 15 yard quartering away shot and about a 75 yard recovery. I had several opportunities at other smaller hogs (50 to 100lb) but never had another larger hog within bow range the rest of the hunt.

AT'er USMC-0331 quickly followed my success with a 210lb boar. The stand he was hunting in would not allow more than a 8 to 10 yard shot as it was so thick. He ended up shooting straight down at 5 yards or less. His arrow clipped a vine so the shot was back and he was not sure he had a good hit. He tracked the hog and found it around 100 yards from the stand.

AT'er HawgFarm1 had early opportunities but not at the size he was looking for. He hunted hard all day Friday and all morning Saturday. He decided to keep at it and went to sit over a waterhole about 2 PM on Saturday……it is really hot in Arkansas in July. It didn’t take long and he put the stalk on 2 large boars but the wind shifted and he was busted. He hung in there though and was able to harvest a 180lb boar coming to the waterhole. He put a great shot on the boar from around 30 yards thru the brush leaning backwards in a plastic patio chair!! Recovered in less than 50 yards.

We all 3 headed back out Saturday evening for a quick sit before the hog dogs showed. HawgFarm went back to the wallow and I went to an elevated box stand. I was sweating so bad in that hot box I had to get down after about an hour so I put a stalk on to the wallow HawgFarm was sitting at but with no success. We then both snuck back out towards the box blind as there was a bait pile there and sure enough I spotted hogs on it (not 20 minutes after I left it….should have sat tight). We both knocked arra’s (more formerly known as arrows to us northerners) to tag a couple of younger pigs to roast over a pit. A larger hog that was back in the brush spotted us and started bellowing as we were between this larger hog and the hogs on the food. We were about to get in position when the hogs on the food got nervous. We both drew as the pigs bolted and the arra’s went flyin at runnin hogs. I missed by a good 2 feet.....hogs are fast at 30 yards with archery tackle! Paul was a bit more accurate.

Chasing hogs with dogs Saturday evening at sunset was a fun experience. The dogs were first used to recover Paul’s roasting pig (P&Y at 55lbs....sorry, couldn't resist) and then were quickly again released on the boars hiding out in the thickest parts of the property. Within half an hour, they struck on a large boar that holed up in an impenetrable thicket. When approaching, the dogs were working the boar pretty well. As the guide was instructing us how to approach the hog, one of the wide eyed dog handlers zipped back to the buggy. The boar then busted out the other way like a freight train. The boar gave the dogs the slip by cutting thru the corner of the lake. We saw other good hogs that evening, but never did get one cornered as it was too dry which is tough tracking for the dogs. A headlamp light was offered, but we opted to call it a night as we only had our bows in this pine tree and vine jungle.

Overall, we were very happy with our experience, and are excited to fire up the grills for some good pork. I would definitely go back and do this again but may opt for some cooler temps. One bonus was that it was so dry that there were virtually no bugs. We didn’t even need to fire up the Thermacells.

An added bonus is that this place is owned and operated by George Dixon (Hunter54), professional archer by trade. We got a few shooting tips and watched him shoot his tournament setups, X's and 12 rings are not safe around this guy!

He was a great host and kept his word on everything we talked about. I am in no way affiliated with George or his operation. I read one thread on AT about his place and thought what the heck let's give him a shot (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1088291&page=2&highlight=hunter54)

Sorry for the long story but figured it would help frame up the pics.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A Big Thank You

I just wanted to say, thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you had a good time and were successful. Hope you get to get another group together sometime and come back, it was sure nice meeting all of you! Just to let you know the two other hunters that came in as you left shot 3 boars last night, and they had a blast! They are headed home this morning with their ice chest filled up, and by the way it rained all afternoon, and the temperatures fell in to the 60's, I almost needed a jacket!
George

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks rebell. Was our first time and it was worth it and I haven't even gotten to eat any of it yet.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
great job bud !

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Sounds like a good time. Congrats!

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Congrats...great stuff!

·
Game Destroyer
2,698 Posts
Nice hawgs...I bet you all had some good eats on that trip. Sounds like fun. I am planning a hog hunt down in Oklahoma probably around March...these stories make me want to go so much sooner.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
congrats on your hogs man!! I hunted with george a few months back and had a blast out there and shot a nice hog with the bow as well..im tryin to figure out a time i can plan another hunt out there..it was a great time and george is a great guy to deal with..thanks again man

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ground up the trim meat last night to make breakfast sausage. Fried up a couple chunks and it was very, very good. No game taste at all!

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Very nice write up and hunt. Sounds like a heck of a good time and a great host. Congrats. You even got a taste of the dog huntin.

Those thick woods in the South can be a pain and those hogs can be a real challenge to hunt...especially when you can't bait em (public land).

"impenetrable thicket" - no such thing. :tongue:

Cheers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Baiting

One thing about Arkansas, you can do whatever you want to kill a hog, we bait them all the time, run them with dogs, spotlight them at night, whatever it takes!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Baiting

One thing about Arkansas, you can do whatever you want to kill a hog, we bait them all the time, run them with dogs, spotlight them at night, whatever it takes! The last three afternoons we have had torrential downpours, now the roads are muddy, not so when Brad was there, it was hot and dusty, now it's wet wet! But the hogs like wet better, yesterday afternoon after I fed I was headed back to the barn and lo and behold a huge silver/blue boar was walking right beside the tractor about ten yards to my left. I tried to get a photo of him, but before I could turn on the camera he walked off into the bushes. He must have weighed 350 or more, he was huge!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Great story and review. It definately sounds like you had a good time!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts