Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have shot rages for the last 6 years. Had always heard of people saying they don't always open and this year it finally happened to me. I was 100% certain I had double lunged a buck Saturday night, slight quartering to and maybe an inch high (but still far from no man's land above the lungs). Let him lay for 45 minutes after I shot him and headed in with a flashlight only to not find hardly any blood. After an hour of crawling on our hands and knees and 2 hours of grid searching in the dark we called it off until morning. Next morning we grid searched again and by dumb luck stumbled across a small area with a bunch of blood where it looked like he had stood and thought for a second before heading off again. The blood was 300 yards from where I had shot him. Luckily there were only two trails from that point and one of them was a creek crossing and when we peered over the bank we saw him floating in the water. Once we drug him out and started cleaning it was apparent by the half inch opening on both sides that the Rage hadn't deployed and I basically shot him with a sharp field point. Luckily I had made a great shot but we still almost weren't able to recover him. Makes me understand why a lot of people are so against the Rages but likely won't switch based on the one bad experience compared to the numerous amazing blood trails I have had with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Nice deer, glad you found him

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great buck, congrats. Just curious, did the rage you shot him with have the shock collar? I've heard that's the weak link. I shoot the original style with the o-rings and they've never failed me yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Great buck, congrats. Just curious, did the rage you shot him with have the shock collar? I've heard that's the weak link. I shoot the original style with the o-rings and they've never failed me yet.
Yeah - Im anxious to hear the answer on this. I tested using dental bands on the Trypans (first on targets and card board and later on a hog), and so far - so good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Beautiful Buck. I'm very happy for you. Give the G5 Montec, V2. I have used the 100 and 125 of both and have never gone over 100 yards. Actually only one doe did. Just give them a try I dont think you would be disappointed.

·
Uncredible
1,935 Posts
wow great buck. I lost a great buck years ago to a mechanical and never went back even with the great advancements in mechanical heads i still shoot a fixed head. Kudo on your ethic to put in the work to find him OP

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was shooting the Hypodermic + P, so yes they do have the shock collar. First year with them, devastating wound on my antelope this year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let’s see those entry and exit pics

You know, with him setting all night and me wanting to hurry and get his guts out so he could hang didn't think about it in time. I then thought about it as I was cutting the rib meat out on the second side and realized it was far to late at that point. Apologies.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah - Im anxious to hear the answer on this. I tested using dental bands on the Trypans (first on targets and card board and later on a hog), and so far - so good.
Pretty cool idea, I like it. I think something like a band or o-ring that is cut or rolled back to let the blades deploy is the best way to do it. I really like the looks of the SEVR heads, but I stocked up on Rages a few years ago. Lol.

·
Mad Arrow Slinger
10,517 Posts
I have shot rages for the last 6 years. Had always heard of people saying they don't always open and this year it finally happened to me. I was 100% certain I had double lunged a buck Saturday night, slight quartering to and maybe an inch high (but still far from no man's land above the lungs). Let him lay for 45 minutes after I shot him and headed in with a flashlight only to not find hardly any blood. After an hour of crawling on our hands and knees and 2 hours of grid searching in the dark we called it off until morning. Next morning we grid searched again and by dumb luck stumbled across a small area with a bunch of blood where it looked like he had stood and thought for a second before heading off again. The blood was 300 yards from where I had shot him. Luckily there were only two trails from that point and one of them was a creek crossing and when we peered over the bank we saw him floating in the water. Once we drug him out and started cleaning it was apparent by the half inch opening on both sides that the Rage hadn't deployed and I basically shot him with a sharp field point. Luckily I had made a great shot but we still almost weren't able to recover him. Makes me understand why a lot of people are so against the Rages but likely won't switch based on the one bad experience compared to the numerous amazing blood trails I have had with them.
congrats on a fine buck! Glad the Rage worked!

·
Registered
9,745 Posts
Glad you found that beautiful buck. I have had 2 mechanicals fail to open. I will never use one again. No use to take a chance IMO. I only use broads head machined from a single piece of tool steel and hardened to at least 55Rc (no screws, pins, flimsy thin blades, rubber bands etc.) sharpened and honed to a razor sharp edge, no reason not to.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've probably killed over 50 deer and bears with snypers, the original rage, they use a rubber band for blade retention, not sure why rage hasn't, way better than orings or shock collars, I still have 7 packs of snypers left, waiting on a better mech, nothing has been offered yet. I use fixed blades for elk and moose(exodus) but the big advantage to a mech is they hit where I aim while I'm all bundled up frozen stiff and a giant buck shows up, with all that going on my form might not be perfect causing a fixed to not hit its mark!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts