Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Cannon G30 for self-filming bow hunts. I am looking for suggestions on accessories used. I want to buy a shotgun mic, but not sure if I should go with a Rode and XLR add on, or the Cannon DM-100? I want to get a controller, a fluid head, a tree arm, extra battery, rain cover, SD cards, and software. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am new to the site and have found it very informative (ultimately why I went with the G30 is from reading feedback on this site). This is my first time posting. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links bgbowhunter! You just saved me a ton of time. I used to self-film bow hunts about 20 years ago and have always wanted to get back into it with today's technologies. I am really looking forward to the G30. I also have kids in hockey, so it should be a good family investment. How is Sony Vega for movie making?

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Azden SMX-10 shotgun
Manfrotto 128RC Head
Muddy Outfitter arm
Varizoom VZ Rock LE LANC. Look on ebay dont pay full price new!
Any of the Benro tripods are good or Manfrotto

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Azden SMX-10 shotgun
Manfrotto 128RC Head
Muddy Outfitter arm
Varizoom VZ Rock LE LANC. Look on ebay dont pay full price new!
Any of the Benro tripods are good or Manfrotto
Thanks flinginairos! What editing software do you use? I have read Adobe Premier Pro is good but pricey. Looking for something cheaper that works well.

·
Registered
577 Posts
We really like either Rode or Sennheiser microphones. An XLR would be preferred, but then that means you'll need another piece of equipment to interface it with your camera.

Manfrotto is the name for tripods and fluid heads. Both effective and reasonable price.

Varizoom LANC controller

Good luck and post some videos when you get the camera rolling!

·
Hunt Smart!!
1,465 Posts
Thanks for the links bgbowhunter! You just saved me a ton of time. I used to self-film bow hunts about 20 years ago and have always wanted to get back into it with today's technologies. I am really looking forward to the G30. I also have kids in hockey, so it should be a good family investment. How is Sony Vega for movie making?

No Problem. Final Cut Pro on a Mac. Need to upgrade to FCP X. My version 7 is getting glitches after all the new ios updates

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
No Problem. Final Cut Pro on a Mac. Need to upgrade to FCP X. My version 7 is getting glitches after all the new ios updates
Be aware I think old projects wont work when you upgrade to X. I bought my Mac with X so it didn't matter to me

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We really like either Rode or Sennheiser microphones. An XLR would be preferred, but then that means you'll need another piece of equipment to interface it with your camera.

Manfrotto is the name for tripods and fluid heads. Both effective and reasonable price.

Varizoom LANC controller

Good luck and post some videos when you get the camera rolling!
Thanks selfilmed! I will post some this fall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a list of accessories I am considering for the Cannon G30:

Rode video mic
Verizon Stealth LANC controller
Manfrotto 701HDV fluid head
Manfrotto tripod
Muddy Tree Arm
Extra Cannon BP-828 Battery
Battery Charger
2 Class 10 64 GB SD cards
Editing Software - undecided (I have a MacBook Air for work but prob not strong enough to run Final Cut Pro)
I prefer to use PC for most things as I am more familiar with them. I do get software discounts through work.
External hard drive
Rain cover for camera-undecided

Any feedback on choices is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, I want to stay around $2,000 max for setup. I ordered the G30 last Tuesday from ABC warehouse for $999 (new).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the advantage of having the extra equipment such as beachtek to hook up XLR? Is the audio that much better than the video mic or is it because of the extra wireless mic option? Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
What is the advantage of having the extra equipment such as beachtek to hook up XLR? Is the audio that much better than the video mic or is it because of the extra wireless mic option? Thanks again for your help!
This is just my opinion, but if you aren't filming for TV it isn't needed. There are other options that are cheaper. I run a videography business on the side and use a Zoom H1 and lav mic in place of a wireless set up. It's much cheaper and the audio is great. With wireless systems you get what you pay for and you gotta spend some big bucks to get a good system. A good shotgun mic and a Zoom H1 with lav mic worn on your shirt will work good and not break the bank. Just sync the audio in editing and your good to go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is just my opinion, but if you aren't filming for TV it isn't needed. There are other options that are cheaper. I run a videography business on the side and use a Zoom H1 and lav mic in place of a wireless set up. It's much cheaper and the audio is great. With wireless systems you get what you pay for and you gotta spend some big bucks to get a good system. A good shotgun mic and a Zoom H1 with lav mic worn on your shirt will work good and not break the bank. Just sync the audio in editing and your good to go.
Thank you for the info flinginairos! I have looked at some of your videos and they look great. Sorry for all the questions, but I do have another. What kind of rain cover do you recommend? I want to keep it protected when hunting in the rain/snow.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Thank you for the info flinginairos! I have looked at some of your videos and they look great. Sorry for all the questions, but I do have another. What kind of rain cover do you recommend? I want to keep it protected when hunting in the rain/snow.
The short answer is none LOL. I use a tree umbrella if there is rain in the forecast and I will sometimes stretch a beanie over the cam but other than that I don't use one. I've been meaning to buy one for two years but I always find other stuff to spend the money on :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I use the rain cover from Campbell's...caught it on a big sale..its a little bulky but keeps the camera dry and has a clear section so you can still see the screen when filming. The cover will
Go over the camera and shotgun mic, and has a section that extends back to cover the LANC as well

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks SheaXPO, I will look into the cover on their website. Good idea with the beanie, I might have to do that since I have been spending a lot of $. I did save some money by building two additional camera arms as suggested by someone on this site. Total cost was for both was $29.

·
Registered
11,289 Posts
Thanks SheaXPO, I will look into the cover on their website. Good idea with the beanie, I might have to do that since I have been spending a lot of $. I did save some money by building two additional camera arms as suggested by someone on this site. Total cost was for both was $29.
Little tip for cold weather, throw a handwarmer pouch in the beanie and put a rubber band around it and stretch it over the back of the cam and keep the handwarmer over the battery. Your battery will last a LOT longer that way. The cold really sucks the life outta them!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Will do, I like to hunt the late season when I get a chance and the last couple of years have been crazy cold in Michigan.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts