Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in trying to rework my tactile aiming stand I want to try using a recurve sight [pin] as the tactile that touches the back of my hand. I've only ever seen an old sight I got in a compound purchase, but the pins there are in a circular housing and wouldn't fit my needs.

Any suggestions or is there even a sight out there, that is single pin, windage and elevation microadjust, where the pin is "exposed in a way that would allow it to be mounted on a bracket fixed to a camera tripod and allow me to touch the pin to the back of my bow hand? I'm unable to look at pictures/images of different models, and I find most internet descriptions lack in this type of detail.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just trying to keep this near page 1 for a while since it looks like the thread/post search isn't working so well...

·
(aka lug nut)
49,627 Posts
Hello Kelly. The "recurve" target sight uses a threaded rod size of 8-32. The "compound" target sight uses a threaded rod size of 10-32. Only difference is that the compound sight components are a bit more heavy duty. So, any "compound" sight that works with your bracket and camera tripod will work fine, just order a "recurve" aperture with a 10-32 threaded rod.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/x-spot-small-post-sight-aperture-3-8-375.html

X-Spot recurve aperture is available in 8-32 and 10-32 threaded rod. The aperture ring is 3/8ths diameter. Threaded rod is 2.5-inches long for the x-spot aperture. I would just use a spare compound target sight you have lying around, and purchase a length of 10-32 threaded rod. You can cut the threaded rod to any convenient length for your use as a tactile device. You can use a flat file and round over the end of the threaded rod. You can drill out a dowel, screw the dowel onto the 10-32 threaded rod, and then shape the end of the dowel to whatever shape works best for you, as a tactile device.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
What Alan said... I've been known in the past to DIY my own pin sights out of 10-32 threaded rod and those round electrical connectors from the hardware store also. Until I found the Infitec recurve style sight pins in 10-32 thread at Lancaster.

I'll also throw in a dig for the Shibuya CPX compound sight as a good recurve style pin sight, because it has a lot of windage adjustment. This is a problem with a lot of compound sights; they have only a teeny weeny little bit of windage adjustment range, and some recurve sights are like that too. But the Shibuya compound sight block has 1/2" or even more if you just keep turning and turning the knob....

But I agree its not hard to reuse a compound sight with 10-32 threads for recurve purposes as well as for what it sounds like your needs are?

lee.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both, this makes a lot more sense now.

My current set up allows for really good control and a frame of reference when doing elevation corrections, but the windage adjustments are on a sliding "L" bracket and it's difficult to make windage changes without also rotating the bracket (it's on a single bold mount on the tripod baseplate). My current "pointer" is a 1/4" bolt with a plastic cap threaded onto it. I think WA rules allow for up to 2cm diameter, but I find the larger sizes to be difficult to get a consistent contact point.

Again, thanks, I'll look into all of this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts