Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son is 12 and getting more serious about bowhunting. Currently hunting from ladders but they are tough to move around in our woods, 25 year old oaks. Looking for some suggestions for hang ons with rails. Looked at the Big Dog XL. Any others to consider?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Why do you need a rail? Harness and lifeline practice before season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts

If a rail prevents a 12 year old (or anyone for that matter) from falling out of their stand and dangling from a harness then I would think it is a pretty good reason to want one. Also, maybe like my kids (gasp!) the kid hunts with a gun also and the rail helps with more steady shots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mental peace of mind as much as anything. Not saying it would save him should he get off balance but in his mind it's an extra layer of protection.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I haven't found a stand with a rail that really works well for bow hunting. Yup they are great when you have a gun and yes I still hunt with a gun, they just suck balls with a bow.

My bow is 12 and he has killed 2 out of a tree with his bow. Here are a few things I have found. The bigger the platform the better. He just feels more comfortable on a big platform, I also think having a stable base really helps pulling the bow back. Wide and deep are key.

He also likes stands with rails on the side. I think that is better than the rail in front. I have one of these that he really likes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gor...hVPb60KHYMSCWAQ9QEIXTAA#imgrc=NHfgDxebcRaz9M:

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,401 Posts
For a kid I like it. Straps for the seat hold them in too. Bigger stand so they can move safely too.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I’d look more at ladder stands. Climbing up is the dangerous part in my opinion. I remember being 12 an hating the climb in, but felt safe once I was strapped in. This was before lifelines and stick ladders of course. I did a lot of hunting on the ground as well was I was kid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts