Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im currebtly using an older truglo sight and while it has been good to me im looking for sumtin with slightly brighter pins and also has to be able to come through the thick brush with me without snapping like a toothpick.

Guy i hunt with has a cobra sight with the built in sight light for those dreay days back in the pines. Has nice small pin which like. If i dont find sumtin i like ill go with that but im looking for opinions and also pictures if at all possible of the sight.

Thanks for any help guys:)

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
John,
I dont recommend products if I dont believe they are quality and worthy. I am not sure what you are looking for but check out Vital BowGear's website. I have 3 of their sights. I use the 3 ring/pin Trapper out west and it is awesome. I am not sure in NJ you are but if you wanna check mine out, you're welcome to.

http://www.vitalbowgear.com/sights.cfm

·
Registered
793 Posts
I am a big fan of Scout Mountain Equipment AKA SME Archery. I have a lil light attachment that i add on so i can really make those guys glow! The best sight i have used thus far, plus it has micro adjustments!
Also has a level bubble built in. I believe they have them at Cabelas i won mine on ebay for $20 the seller misspelled the item so i got it dirt cheap at a no reserve
There are some actually on Ebay right now that i am looking at
There website is smequip.com (for some reason though it is not working.)

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
rootdoc said:
I am a big fan of Scout Mountain Equipment AKA SME Archery. I have a lil light attachment that i add on so i can really make those guys glow! The best sight i have used thus far, plus it has micro adjustments!
Also has a level bubble built in. I believe they have them at Cabelas i won mine on ebay for $20 the seller misspelled the item so i got it dirt cheap at a no reserve
There are some actually on Ebay right now that i am looking at
There website is smequip.com (for some reason though it is not working.)
Doc, the reason it isnt working is, SME is now Vital Bow Gear who I referred to in my earlier post. I really like their sights !

·
Registered
62 Posts
While I prefer the Extremes or Copper Johns none of the suggestions you've gotten so far are bad ones.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Thanks! I was wondering what happened to them! But when i looked at you website i do not see the old SME sights??:confused:

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
rootdoc said:
Thanks! I was wondering what happened to them! But when i looked at you website i do not see the old SME sights??:confused:
No, they are even better now!;) :D

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well thanks for the replies everyone. Ive been looking around on some sites and digging through magazines and whatnot and narrowed it down to either the cobra sight my partner has or the trapper that Jerry suggested. I like the cobra b/c the light is contained so there is no visible light other then slightly brighter pins.

Ive seen the dusk devil advertised many times but just dont really like the sight from what i see anyway. Any more sugegstions are welcome and ill make the final call on tuesday as tomorrow i took the day off to do some hunting.:D

Thanks again:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
bright site

i shoot the extreme sniper its pretty bright, but ive got the light, also vital bow gear has the oricle which is very bright.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
While all of the sights recomended above are certainly top notch, let me offer one other thought.

While those sights with 3 ft of fiber are certainly bright, there are a couple of issues that I have seen with them in both bright and low light conditions.

For bright light conditions, many of these 3 ft fiber pins will generate a very noticeable halo around the pin which partially obscures your target. In many cases you can correct this with a piece of tape over part of the fiber to dim it a bit, but it can be a problem.

In low light conditions, the bright pins tend to drown out the background image (target) if they are too bright. This is the same reason that many look to "tone down" the intensity of their sight lights.

I use a Spot Hogg sight with a modest 1" of fiber on each pin and have no problems with pin illumination. When it finally gets so dark I can't see my pins, it is too dark to shoot anyway.

I can see these sights working very well if you are hunting out of a ground blind where the ambient light around your sight is very low but outside it is bright, but I just don't see the need outside of those conditions.

Granted, this is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.