Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Now Older than Dirt
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife is in the market for a new 3d bow. As She has gracefully aged She just started having a little shoulder issue with her Bowtech Allegiance and is looking to replace it with a smoother drawing bow that still has the speed for 3d. Believe me she is sick about this as man can she shoot that bow great.
I have told her she needs to check out the Mathews Passion and the Hoyt Viczen but wanted her hopefully to have a list of about 6 bows that she should really try out.
Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.
Oh just incase it may influence Your recomendations
draw length 26-26.5
40 lb peak Currently shooting her Allegiance at 42 lbs
of course to make life difficult she is a lefty

·
Registered
519 Posts
Another "lefty"

Tell her us other "lefty's" feel for her! :D

A few questions that might help the ladies make the most customized list of bows to try/consider:

Is she needing low mass weight, or is the drawing shoulder the only or main issue?

Does she use or plan to use a long stabilizer, or a short hunter-style stabilizer, (or no stabilizer?)

Will she be using a bow-mounted quiver?

Is it safe to assume she shoots a mechanical release of some kind, not "fingers"?

Is budget a major issue?

Good luck with the search, and maybe the folks at Shoot Like A Girl could provide an opportunity for her to try some left-handed bows in her size. Just a thought.

·
Now Older than Dirt
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell her us other "lefty's" feel for her! :D

A few questions that might help the ladies make the most customized list of bows to try/consider:

Is she needing low mass weight, or is the drawing shoulder the only or main issue?

Does she use or plan to use a long stabilizer, or a short hunter-style stabilizer, (or no stabilizer?)

Will she be using a bow-mounted quiver?

Is it safe to assume she shoots a mechanical release of some kind, not "fingers"?

1. Low Mass would be nice she feels her Allegiance is a bit on Heavy side
and holding arm/shoulder is what is troubling her.
2. She will be using a short hunter style stabilizer
3. No bow mounted quiver
3. yes mechanical release
Is budget a major issue? Not really an issue if she finds the right bow.however I hope it's not a carbon matrix as that would be pushing real hard on the budget

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shoot a passion and the vicxen. The passion is lighter and has a valley but in my opinion has a stiffer cam. The vicxen is heavier but I think has a smoother draw but has no valley. I have a shoulder that was giving me problems but its the shoulder I pull with. The vicxen doesnt seem to hurt my shoulder as much but it is also a few lbs lighter on the draw weight. Hope this heps!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just a thought... Assuming your wife's bare bow wt. is the 3.8# listed in the specs, and considering the limb style etc, does your wife really NEED that short hunting-style stabilizer? I've always shot bows in the 3.5# mass weight range, and discovered that they shot as good or better, and my holding sholder had more endurance, if I shot without the hunting-style stabilizers. (my long axle-to-axle target bow was a different story.. for that one, I do much better with a carbon fiber target sight! :D) It might take her a bit to get used to it, but if she tries her beloved bow without the added weight of that short stabilizer, she just might be able to keep shooting it! :D I hate to see her have to change, if it's been working so well for her.
Have her give it a good honest try... and if she truly can't hold steady enough without some sort of stabilizer, maybe a slightly lighter-weight one would work, and still reduce the overall mass wt. a little. It's amazing how much difference a few ounces can make, if your shoulder isn't "happy". :wink:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Vicxen, Martin Firecat, Mathews DXT, Athens Accomplice. I'd stay away from the BowTech Equalizer, the draw cycle is a bear.
The draw cycle on the 82nd cams at 26.5 is very smooth but the bow is heavy. I don't know if the new Destroyer would be an option or not.
My wife currently shoots a 50# LH Firecat and loves it. She had to give up her 82nd because it was too heavy. The 82nd was much faster than the Firecat.

At 26.5 and 47#:
Firecat 271 FPS
82nd Airborne 298 FPS

·
Now Older than Dirt
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vicxen, Martin Firecat, Mathews DXT, Athens Accomplice. I'd stay away from the BowTech Equalizer, the draw cycle is a bear.
The draw cycle on the 82nd cams at 26.5 is very smooth but the bow is heavy. I don't know if the new Destroyer would be an option or not.
My wife currently shoots a 50# LH Firecat and loves it. She had to give up her 82nd because it was too heavy. The 82nd was much faster than the Firecat.

At 26.5 and 47#:
Firecat 271 FPS
82nd Airborne 298 FPS
May I ask which cam she is using on the Firecat as I see it available with 2 choices? Ladies thanks for the input if You think of something else she should at least try out let me know. I'm going to try and chronograph her bow this weekend may narrow down choices pretty quickly. I am also going to see about her getting a lighter stabilizer as her current one is anything but light. Also her spotthog hunter hogitt is not exactly a light sight either.

·
Registered
117 Posts
She's not the only lefty archer! I have the Vicxen and it shoots great, but it is 4.1 lb mass weight, heavier than her bow now. She may want to try out the Hoyt Kobalt, at 3.1 lb, it it pretty light, but the shorter ATA may make the bow torque more. Just a thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts