Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

For those more knowledgable in video cameras, I'm looking for suggestions on a camera to do high speed video for slow-motion and some stills. This is to be use within a JOAD/STP program. Data should be easily down-loadable to a PC or some other type of player. Having no experience in this, your suggestions are most appreciated. Lastly price for the camera and any needed support equipment is a definate consideration. We have a finite budget.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, real good high speed requires extreme ammounts of light, due to the lack of exposure time for each frame. I think all modern cameras (without getting into the real high end units) are geared more toward the later of your requirements...ease of use.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but...

we're looking for the ability to slow down what is happening and be able to make out (see) what is happening. Not production quality.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
massman,

I'm not an expert in video cams, but I've used Panasonic consumer grade Digital Video cam - you know, the small hand-held ones for taping archery before.

I think the difference depends on exactly how much you need to see, and how clearly you want to see it.

If it's for critical analysis (like the manufacturers' high speed videos), then only dedicated high-speed cams are capable of the resolution. I don't think you'll be looking into these as they are astronomically priced, and their usage is very technical.

Most modern consumer digital video cameras are capable of taking fairly decent footages in good, even lighting, and you could always slow it down or watch it frame by frame in any of the modern players. I believe there is also a special player/program (V1 Home 2.0) which is used for sports analysis purposes.

Also try searching for forums or reviews on digital video cameras.

Hope this helps.

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,759 Posts
i have a cheap hand held digital camera. i paid 150 for it new, and its also a mp3 player, 5megapixel camera, voice recorder , webcam, etc etc.

i shoot videos of my form with it all the time. its not highspeed but i can watch in slow mo or frame by frame and see exactly what is happening. i think most cameras today will show you want you need. most dont need 12,000 frames of holding and then 6000 frames of the release which is what high speed will give you. i thought i was throwing my hand outward during release when i filmed it kinda plucking the string. on my cheap video camera i was able to see my hand perfectly still, the string went and arrow shot. my hand still frozen, then a few frames later my hand moves back and outward. i can see my string in action a frame or 2 also. So i think any camera you get will get you what you are looking for without the highspeed price. I also use the V1 software. i dump my footage onto my pc, and can watch right away in media player or i can dump the footage into V1 or movie maker. both of these software will let you play slowmo or frame by frame. windows player doesnt. moviemaker is free with XP on your computer. V1 lets you draw lines etc on the footage. just get a good video camera in your price range and a cheap laptop. then you can film, dump, view, draw on, etc all right there in the lesson.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Some of the new canon powershot digital cameras come with a 60fps video mode. It is meant to analyze sports videos etc.. The SD450 is one of them, also the A710IS, and you can play the video back frame by frame on the camera screen. Its not going to give you the detail a $10000 camera will, but it will give you 2 times as many frames as a regular camcorder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Resource in MA

I would think that you could get some good advice from Anthony at Archery USA. He has been doing this as part of his JOAD and general training area for quite some time, and I believe he also provides the equipment to other interested shops and organizations. Besides, he is only an hour away and you could actually she how the stuff that he uses works !!

See ya ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts