Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Bass Pro with the intention of buying a viper which is pretty much the only model I've used, thus have familiarity and comfort level with (as I explained to the salesman).
I walked out with the 180 (not the MAX) thinking the only real difference was the versatility of the seat - even though I asked for all the specs.
Just pulled it from the box and the upper frame is over 32" long (vs.the specs of 26.5" in length for the viper.) I'm afraid I'm going to struggle climbing with this stand; I'm only 5'4"...
One thing I liked about the viper -I could adjust my final set up so, if I want to I can feel the padded bar with the front of my leg when I stand to shoot so 'I know where I am'. It's a trust/reassurance glitch I have when way up in a tree. (That and having my tree strap just right without too much play). I'm not sure I'll like or need the extra room on top.
Any comments from anyone familiar with the two models or anyone of short stature having problems climbing with the bar so much further from the tree?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I have the 180 max and although its like a dream to use and sit in Im afraid of the front bar hitting my bow when I shoot. You can shoot off the sides with ease but that front bar sticks out pretty far. I have read that putting the top section lower kinda remedies this problem but then you have to jump through hoops to stand up. Its 2" wider which is great for me 6' 245lbs so its comfy but that is the only good thing about it. Would be an awesome rifle stand.

·
Registered
264 Posts
had a viper, hated it. heavy and clunky, need a telephone pole of a tree to climb. Mine was wrecked in a car accident. That was the best thing that could have happened. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a 180 and the 3 disadvantages I see are: 1. Front bar extends to far out as mentioned previously, not a problem if you are concealed and can step away from the tree to ensure you clear the bar with your lower limb. 2. Tough for shorter people to climb with since the front bar puts you further away from the foot platform. 3. Assembly is a pain, having to weave the seat cushion through the lower platform.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 180 and the 3 disadvantages I see are: 1. Front bar extends to far out as mentioned previously, not a problem if you are concealed and can step away from the tree to ensure you clear the bar with your lower limb. 2. Tough for shorter people to climb with since the front bar puts you further away from the foot platform. 3. Assembly is a pain, having to weave the seat cushion through the lower platform.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts