Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im in the market for a new treestand, i tested the api grand slam bowhutner and liked it, solid didnt wiggle, and quiet,

but i also tryed the summit cobra xls and really enjoyed the sturdiness<sp> of the stand , very comfy roomy, easy to climb adn solid what would you guys choose?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I own both and like them both. If I have a long walk I take my summit, If Im going to stay in my stand all day I take my API, Its a little more comfortable than my summit but the summit is lighter. I know I didnt help did I.:)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
summit vs api

as far as the summit. how does it hold the tree for you. im decently sized guy<5'11 220lbs> any slippage, anything you have to do to the stand to make it stay in place.

had a buddy tell me the only way the summit would stay for him is by screwing treesteps into the tree and putting the cable on top of the treestep. .... any truth to this?

P.S no you didnt help LOL.

·
Registered
852 Posts
DJ - The most comfortable climbing stand I ever used was an API... However, if they truly ARE going out of business, like I've been hearing, getting parts for one may prove difficult in the future...I also had some climbers by Summit, and they were well made - I have friends that use the Cobra, and they like them...

That being said, I really think you owe it to yourself to take a good look at the Lone Wolf climbers before you make your final decision on this matter... Out of all the climbers I've used, and tried out, the Lone Wolf is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the rest - I bought one 2 years ago, and have never regretted it for a second... You're welcome to come over and check mine out anytime you want - just give me a call, or PM me if you're having trouble getting through on my phone... Please make sure you do, before you buy a climber, or you'll end up regretting it...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
852 Posts
DJ - The guys I know that're using the Summits weigh more than you do - one's GOTTA be 280+, easy - and they haven't reported having any trouble with them staying put on the tree... Hope that helps...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i have both and seem to use the summit more because of the weight , and no the summit wont slip matter of fact it bites down to hard sometimes and its hard to get off the tree when climbing just on cetain trees i love my summit and api but now that api has gone out of buissness go with the summit you will be glad :D hope this helps

·
Simon Cowel of AT
6,595 Posts
See the post on the Summit Goliath. A very good unbiased opinion of the stand. The Goliath is the Viper on steroids. FWIW, I feel safer and more comfy in my Summit. DCM

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have never sat in a Summit, but I have 2 API's and a Buck Shot. I think that the api is probably one of the most comfortable stands on the market. When I sit in my climber I want to be as comfortable as possible, that way 1) I'll stay longer and 2) I will be less likely to move around.
I did hear that api was going out of bussiness, but I also heard that they were being bought out by Bass Pro Shops. I would not let that stear you to much. I have friends that have had their api's for years with no troubles. They are a very sturdy stand.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Summit all the way.

I have been using an API for the last 5-6 years and I think the Summit is alot better. They are lighter, no pins (I had a pin break last year and almost fell 25+ft), set up quicker and quieter, and talk about gripping a tree. I used Nino's Goliath last year and I couldn't get it off the tree coming down, that thing holds on to the tree. I only wiegh 170 lbs and it was grabbing the tree 10 X's better than my API. Plus they set up and pack back up quicker and easier than the API's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SUMMIT!!! By far the best on the market. I had an API and didn't like certain features, but like all the features on the Summit.

I have the Vipor Extremem XLS.

Mike

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I have a bushmaster and it has never slipped on me. Just got to remember to use the supplied cinch strap to strap the seat part to the tree when you get to hunting height. The seat on the bushmaster isn't very comfortable though. I believe a cobra seat will fit it, so i think i'll order one before the season starts. Never had an api but a couple of people in my hunting club did untill they sold them and got vipers. They said they like the viper a lot better than the api's.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've had summits and apis. I just bought a lone wolf hand climber. It is by far the best of the three.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have never had a Summit stand not grip or bite the tree, however, I just sold my Summit and API and got a Lone Wolf. The Lone Wolf is definately worth considering.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I have hunted out of API and many others. As for me I like my summit cobra. I recently took a hard look at the lone wolf stands both the sit and climb and the alpha. Had the chance to play with the alpha and, was even concidering one. I am not going to bash anyones choices as some like the lone wolf stands and, they are not bad to use. I however did not care for the comfort at all. I and, maybe its just me could not spend many hours in the lone wolf as it gets me in the lower back. It is a very well made stand and if I was only planning short hunts say 2-4 hours I might could go with the lone wolf but, I have decided that I will stick to what has worked for me now for several years and that is the summit. For a while many tried to talk me into the lone wolf. It is light and, a nice stand to pack into the woods--just don't care for it if I am going to spend any amount of time sitting on the stand. I can make moves through out the day easy with the summit without any problems. As far as the complaint of slipping on trees--I have used the summit in the rain and even had to come back down an oak tree that had ice on it after a few hours in the stand. As I decended the stand NEVER slipped. As far as my stature--I am 6'3" and a little over 200 pounds. The summit has never disappointed me when it comes to performance. I have sat from daylight till dark and no problems with comfort. There are many well built stands out there and, I am not here to bash or critisize anyone for their choices. I am just offering up info. on my own experiences with a product that I use and like. The choices are many when it comes to tree stands. I like to find people who will allow you to try their stand out in the back yard on a tree just to see how it is. Lets face it a portable stand can be costly and, if you get it and, decide that you don't like it you may be stuck with it for a while. Summit, API, lone wolf, TimberTall, Ole man, Loggy Bayou are all stands that I know people who have them and, use them with good results and positive talk when it comes to whether they like them. It comes down to what you like in the features of each one. GOOD LUCK and, may you find a stand you like.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have to agree with Speed_freak and theck.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have never used one of the new Summits.I have an older model (1988) that is still a good stand.I also have a Grand Ol' Man that I like real well.I have looked at the new Summits and would not hesitate to buy one If I needed a new climber.I bought the Grand Ol' man because I had gained so much weight that I exceeded the limit on my old Summit.Back down below the limit now so I will use both.Summit came out with their new line after I bought the Ol' Man.I'll say this for the Ol man net seat...It's as comfortable of a seat as I've ever set in.From what I hear ,Bass Pro has bought API.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I am a huge Summit stand. I think you will find no better line of climbers. they are quiet, safe, stable, and very user friendly. They also have excellent customer service and truely care about the quality of their products. I can't think of anyone that has a Summit that doesn't love it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Summit Cobra

I have had my Cobra for three years now and it's the one with the air blowup seat and back rest. It's a great climber and never had an issue with slippage.

Rob

·
Banned
333 Posts
I owm an old summit , love it!!!!! just bought a new API love it more!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts