1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
the blame can be spread in any direction. it all boils down to we as hunters are the reason for declined deer herds. we are on the front lines and see when our local herd numbers are up or down. knowledge gained from time in the field is better than any state agencies "guess" on herd numbers while sitting in their offices. if you are seeing lower deer numbers, stop shooting doe's. it's really that simple. states can issue all the tags they want but if we as hunters aren't filling them, then the deer herd will grow. if we are killing off deer as fast as we can get tags, then we are to blame. you can blame the state governments for issuing too many tags all you want but they aren't forcing you to kill deer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I completely agree with the idea of this, and I also agree that we as hunters need to do our part. It is hard to get hunters to stand as one voice however. It's a very complicated issue that I really wish wasn't decided on with politics.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree with the idea of this, and I also agree that we as hunters need to do our part. It is hard to get hunters to stand as one voice however. It's a very complicated issue that I really wish wasn't decided on with politics.
I agree smitty. I don't see the Illinoi$ DNR ever doing the right thing, way too much politics involved. If Illinoi$ could only get key politicians elected that would stand behind the decisions of our front line biologists then maybe we could get some where, maybe?

Wishful thinking I know right. It's Illinoi$, where even the best become corrupt. The only way that I see to get hunters to be heard is to hit em where it hurts, in their pocket books. Stop buying so many permits and see what happens.

·
Registered
200 Posts
the blame can be spread in any direction. it all boils down to we as hunters are the reason for declined deer herds. we are on the front lines and see when our local herd numbers are up or down. knowledge gained from time in the field is better than any state agencies "guess" on herd numbers while sitting in their offices. if you are seeing lower deer numbers, stop shooting doe's. it's really that simple. states can issue all the tags they want but if we as hunters aren't filling them, then the deer herd will grow. if we are killing off deer as fast as we can get tags, then we are to blame. you can blame the state governments for issuing too many tags all you want but they aren't forcing you to kill deer.
^^^^
This

·
Registered
561 Posts
I agree!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too agree, but with one comment. I say don't just not use the tags, just don't buy all the extra ones.

·
Registered
445 Posts

^^^ I agree with this 100%. Also, as archery continues to grow as a sport, there will always be people that shoot every single buck that walks by. I wish there was a way to burn "let em go, let em grow" into hunters minds!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hunters are to blame for the damage that has been done to the herd. That said, if the hunters don't get the job done, they bring in sharpshooters. They are going to get the numbers they want.
No need to make it easy is there?

·
Archer
8,646 Posts
In Illinois I don't see over harvest as the problem on its own. Yes we've killed enough deer over the past 10 years to reduce the size of the herd but we wouldn't have such a substantial, widespread population problem if it wasn't for consecutive years of historic outbreaks of EHD in 2012 and 2013.

Yes the herd was down but at a healthy, sustainable level per-EHD. But now it's crucial that hunters increase their awareness and modify their behavior to assist in the recovery of the deer herd here. Everybody thinks they are smarter than politicians...here's our chance to prove it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I speak on behalf of the state in which I hunt and live, Missouri. Government in our case makes it extremely easy for out of state hunters to come in and shot up deer. Kansas and Iowa are draw states and hunters go there to kill big bucks but come to Missouri to kill and that is shame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts