Archery Talk Forum banner

Sunday Hunting

3258 Views 84 Replies 71 Participants Last post by  dt5150
Most of you are lucky enough to not even wory about this, but if you live in one of the few states that still don't allow it how do you feel about it. Last time I checked, only 11 states still have restrictions on Sunday hunting, and only 4 are left that don't allow any sunday hunting period, including VA where I live. Every year VA is trying to come up with more ways for people to shoot more deer, allowing crossbows, giving more doe tags, extending seasons, or making you kill a doe to earn a second or third buck. It seems like common sence that more deer would be killed if you gave people one more day to, especialy on the weekend when most people are off. The only way I see VA allowing people to hunt on sundays is if they can make you buy a sunday hunting permit, that way the "state" can get more money even though they never put the money back where it belongs.

I'm done with my rant, so what do you think.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

· Registered
14,752 Posts
sucks here in WV too....

· Registered
1,080 Posts
I've never thought about it too much. My state don't allow it and that's ok with me. They did try it a few years ago for a short time (Until it was voted down). I went Bowhunting one Sunday evening and it just seemed weird. I have nothing against it if anyone else does it, but i am fine with it the way it is. I will admit- if i could, it might occasionally cut into the time i spend somewhere else on Sunday mornings. Again, i have nothing against it i'm just glad i don't have the choice.

· Registered
1,083 Posts
I've never thought about it too much. My state don't allow it and that's ok with me. They did try it a few years ago for a short time (Until it was voted down). I went Bowhunting one Sunday evening and it just seemed weird. I have nothing against it if anyone else does it, but i am fine with it the way it is. I will admit- if i could, it might occasionally cut into the time i spend somewhere else on Sunday mornings. Again, i have nothing against it i'm just glad i don't have the choice.
No offense but I feel alot closer to god sitting in a tree than I ever have in a church Just my opinion, probly not the only one who feels that way though

· Registered
9,545 Posts
hey 50Bowhunter, i'm with ya man. I too live in H-burg. Elkton, actually. And I have to work EVERY saturday. I would love to be able to hunt sunday's, and would gladly pay for the privelage. and you made a good point about the state seeming to want us to shoot more deer. Along with extending the early muzzleloader season this year to 2 weeks. but i think it will be tough to ever get VA to allow sunday hunting.

10,284 Posts
My Thoughts Exactly...

Most of you are lucky enough to not even wory about this, but if you live in one of the few states that still don't allow it how do you feel about it. Last time I checked, only 11 states still have restrictions on Sunday hunting, and only 4 are left that don't allow any sunday hunting period, including VA where I live. Every year VA is trying to come up with more ways for people to shoot more deer, allowing crossbows, giving more doe tags, extending seasons, or making you kill a doe to earn a second or third buck. It seems like common sence that more deer would be killed if you gave people one more day to, especialy on the weekend when most people are off. The only way I see VA allowing people to hunt on sundays is if they can make you buy a sunday hunting permit, that way the "state" can get more money even though they never put the money back where it belongs.

I'm done with my rant, so what do you think.
I couldn`t agree more with ya! :darkbeer: R U sure u don`t live in New Jersey???? :rolleyes: :eek: :wink:

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I work a rotating shift so i have a lot of time off during the week so it doens't affect me as much, it just drives me crazy that we have people in the senate making decisions for us hunts when they have never stepped foot in the deer woods. This past year VA had several proposals for sunday hunting. The one that was favored was that on private land you could hunt the sundays following the opening day, archery, muzzleloader, and rifle. The bill made it all the way to the senate without one negative vote, at the sentate it was shot down unanimously. But they certainly didn't mide raising our hunting licenses 2 years ago by 47%

Don't wory, I will soon spit out all of these sour grapes:mad:

· Registered
2,564 Posts
I don't understand the logic by no Sunday hunting. Lot of folks go to church on Saturday evening. Face it people will do what they want to do. As I told my preacher one time, you can really meditate on spiritual thing sitting 25 feet up in a tree. Its better to do that than sit on a church pew and think about deer hunting. ( I don't hunt on Sundays though, that my main family day plus going to church.)

· Registered
1,243 Posts
Dont have it in PA, wish we did. I can see giving the landowners the break. Let them decide if they want to allow it. Heck shut down Public Land for the sake of the neighboring property. But I cant for the love of all thats Holy see why we cannot hunt Sundays on Private Land.

· Registered
387 Posts
Same story, different state-NC. You'd think that a state run by Liberals would be different? I've been begging for a vote for years, and voiced my opinion at the annual public hearings. What did the WRC do? They polled everybody they could find that never bought a hunting license and asked them about it, then aired it on the news stations all week. Guess what? They don't want us to.:eek: Why don't the people carrying the load ever get to decide how is best to do it? I'm sick of seeing drunks buying beer and cigarettes to take to the Sunday race, football game, truck and car show, Wal-mart, steak house, shopping mall, etc., etc., or just sit down at the river and kill every fish they can get ahold of while bashing me for wanting to squirrel hunt with my little boys after church is let out.:mad::mad::mad:-7-

· Registered
2,564 Posts
Another thought came to mind. All these people that makes these rules and laws, why are they so concerned with what happens on Sunday, jthey don't even care that the Lords Prayer has to be removed from court houses and no prayers in schools etc. Get my point.

· Registered
2,230 Posts
3 yrs ago i started buying my Ohio license for this very reason, in addition to the extended season length. I gain an extra 5 weeks of bowhunting. Its my personal opinion that WV dnr is about as screwed up as it gets when it comes to wildlife management. This is even more abundantly clear when i go to Ohio. Having said that i love my state dearly, but the dnr could learn a ton by looking @ Kentucky & Ohio. Thanks for allowing me to vent. Come join our social groups listed in my signature.

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dont have it in PA, wish we did. I can see giving the landowners the break. Let them decide if they want to allow it. Heck shut down Public Land for the sake of the neighboring property. But I cant for the love of all thats Holy see why we cannot hunt Sundays on Private Land.
I never thought of this but you hit the nail right on the head. They want to remove religion from everything else but all of the tree hugging liberals don't mind using it to keep us from killing poor bambi! Thanks for giving me one more argument.

· Registered
19,551 Posts
it sitll amazes me that we cant hunt in PA on sundays.

i thought about this the other day....if i had a job that didnt allow me to take off of work only allowing me Saturdays to hunt....

i would get 5-6 days before gun season.....then only 2 days for gun season!!! total of maybe 8 days before the late season (which is about useless on public land)

crazy to think about

· Registered
10,765 Posts
IMO the banning of all sunday huntig is first ignorant and unfair to those that may only have a sunday or two to hunt because of job restriictions .On the constitutional side of thing it is clearly a law that is based on religous beleifs and is therefore a violation of the constitution {seperation of church and state} Same as sunday liquer laws .!JMHO:confused:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.