Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· SuperToon'd
12,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does a deer travel 350 yards after being hit right through the boiler room with a rage 2 blade ? It was shot at 8 yards this morning around 7:00 and was not found until noon. The rage completely destroyed the heart and my brother did not find blood at first but then located some about 30 yards from where it was shot . There he found a large amount of blood and thought it was going to be a quick recovery. Man that 4 pt must have had super powers or something . Any thoughts on this?

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
At 30 mph (~15 yards/second) it only takes 23 seconds to go that far. Even without a functioning heart they could last that long.

Tough critters.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
I shot an 8 point last year with a 270 about 200yds it hit just behind the front shoulder and broke the off side front shoulder , that deer ran 400 yds jumped a 5ft hogwire fence I drove up to where he was last seen saw him standing in a flagpond I shot him twice with OOB 12ga 3"mag. he then proceded to run across a pasture jump the fence again and run about 1/2 mile into another pasture. Deer are tough critters.

Two wks later shot a 9 point fell in his tracks. get this the 8 pt never knew I was there had no clue, the 9pt was looking at me when I shot he just to dumb to run I guess.

· Registered
2,754 Posts
I studied/researched wound ballistics for about 20 years...I try to avoid hitting the heart at all cost.

Studies in humans showed if the heart was destroyed with a high power rifle your brain will still function for 19 seconds. That gets you most of the way there. :)

Next when the heart is destroyed the artery leading to the brain can become plugged maintaining the blood pressure. When this happens you can "live" almost a full 60 seconds.

Next...research shows in some 4 legged animals (dogs, maybe deer too) 80% of the running and walking functions are controlled in the spine rather than in the brain like humans.

Shall I continue?

We also have a pretty good clue what causes the death run in heart shots.

We also know what angle is likely to cause a deer to drop the fasted when shot with an arrow. We know the effects of the diaphragm being punctured vs not, etc.

We also know cause and effect of animals dropping on the spot.

My research started out to answer questions I had about hunting and crossed over to LEO for a few years. Some stuff published in a Gun Magazine and LEO book. Some of the stuff was pretty new and people had no clue how worked was done by some projectiles.

Anyhow, it gets to be a dark subject at times and people believe what they want to believe regardless of what is proven. Bottom-line is today I could pretty much care less. :)

· Registered
8,583 Posts
Not surprised , I put a Premier 100 gr. Rocky thru the heart of a doe shot was 20 yds. She ran like the wind for a whole 100 plus yds. But she sure did bleed. I mean how can they not bleed thats the power station.

Crazy Wolf.

· Registered
2,832 Posts
I studied/researched wound ballistics for about 20 years...I try to avoid hitting the heart at all cost.

Studies in humans showed if the heart was destroyed with a high power rifle your brain will still function for 19 seconds. That gets you most of the way there. :)

Next when the heart is destroyed the artery leading to the brain can become plugged maintaining the blood pressure. When this happens you can "live" almost a full 60 seconds.

Next...research shows in some 4 legged animals (dogs, maybe deer too) 80% of the running and walking functions are controlled in the spine rather than in the brain like humans.

Shall I continue?

We also know what angle is likely to cause a deer to drop the fasted when shot with an arrow. We know the effects of the diaphragm being punctured vs not, etc.

My research started out to answer questions I had about hunting and crossed over to LEO for a few years. Some stuff published in a Gun Magazine and LEO book. Some of the stuff was pretty new and people had no clue how worked was done by some projectiles.

Anyhow, it gets to be a dark subject at times and people believe what they want to believe regardless of what is proven. Bottom-line is today I could pretty much care less. :)

Well since this is AT archers helping archers maybe you share this information you speak of. What is the best angle to drop a deer fast with archery gear.

Thanks.

· save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,037 Posts

Shall I continue?

i pretty much have to agree with this....some of the longest blood trails and farthest recoveries ive been in on where heart shots.....seriously.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
This is an example of how a very well hit deer can go along ways and be hard to find.

Tracking skills are a must in thes situations.

· Registered
474 Posts
I seen one shot with a 300mag last year that had the heart hanging out the side for 100 yards +. Completely hanging out the side. If I hadn't seen the shot and length of the run for my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.