Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going from gas to diesel and picking up a powerstroke F350. Just wondering what kind of MPG are you guys getting getting out of these.

·
Registered
727 Posts
6.0 mileage?

anywhere from 13.5-18 mpg according to what it is used for and gearing and which truck. ie 4x4 , dually, crew or standard cab......so on. i will recommend that you find a nice used 7.3 instead. althogh the 6.0 keeps me busy most of the week...........:wink: tim

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picked up the 6 yesterday. Only had it half a day but real happy with it. Can't believe the power difference. Crewcab 4x4 F350.

·
Registered
917 Posts
14 MPG,6.0 is not as good as the 7.3.Head gaskets are a weak link if you push it to hard or try to boost power much past stock.(chip):) Dan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh well, to late. I was going to tell you to look for a used 7.3 too if you're stuck on getting a Ford.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, too late. If the 7.3 has much more power than this one, I don't know what I'd do with it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Q2DEATH said:
Yep, too late. If the 7.3 has much more power than this one, I don't know what I'd do with it.
It not that it has more power, I was strictly talking about reliability. It's not that the 7.3 is actually trouble free,.....but it does have a better track record than the 6.0.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fredb said:
It not that it has more power, I was strictly talking about reliability. It's not that the 7.3 is actually trouble free,.....but it does have a better track record than the 6.0.
Is there anything in particular I need to look out for? The engine's got the 100,000 mile warranty and I picked up the extended waranty covering everything else. This is the fourth truck I've bought in the last 5 years. One was due to an accident but this is the last one I want to buy for a very long time.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Oh, lets see, turbos like to puke....don't shut 'em down hot, injectors like to leak, computer glitches, 2-piece flywheels come apart on the manuals, glow plug controllers, the wiring harnesses like to short out where they go through the valve covers, fuel pressure regulators, hi pressure oil pumps like to puke, and the bottom ends are pretty light-duty. We have 9 powerstrokes at work(7.3's & 6.0's), we have one full-time mechanic working to keep them running. we have never had one get out of the warranty period without needing major engine work.....i don't know what to tell you. V-8 diesels aren't meant to be.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I knew about the turbo. We'll see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts