Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like experiences of those who have experiences of shooting animals with super short broadheads. Does the shortened cutting length lessen the cut if the width of the blades are the same? I have one but only one experience and will not post that (will be glad to PM or Email) as only one time could be too unique. I did recover the animal. Ray

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
From my experiences a Slick Trick Broadhead leaves a massive hole and an awesome blood trail. I have shoot 6 deer with them and not one of them made it 60yds. I even hit one of the bucks a little high and there was still a trail a blind man could follow.

·
Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
My only experience was last month when I shot a Pronghorn Doe with a Sonic. I had been shooting them at home into a Morrel Yellow Jacket target, and ended up with a big knick in one of the blades. I wasn't sure how this happened as it is a new target, and I know there is nothing stuck in it. I was worried about their ability to hold up shooting an animal with one. I shot the doe at about 27 yards, with a good double lung hit, she only ran 80 yards or so and piled in. I can't attest to a blood trail because she fell within sight and there was no tracking involved. Neither the BH or arrow had any damage to it, and with a little sharpening, it would be good as new. I typically retire both the BH and arrow after they have done their job.

I have set-up slick tricks for Elk, but have only shot them at the target. If the hole they are leaving in my target is an indication of what they will do to an animal, the blood trail will be big enough for Ray Charles to follow. They leave a gigantic hole in my Yellow Jacket.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Rcky.Mnt. turbo....

This is a pic of a doe hit with a turbo....I shot 2 deer with them last year and both blood:) trails were sweet! This pic the head exited and shattered its leg....
Super-sharp head and did a great job for me.....
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=336225
scroll down to see pic(my second post in the thread)...
I think bloodtrails have to do mainly with placement, angle of the hit..and LUCK!:tongue:
hope this helps OLDFART:wink:
good luck in the field.....!!
Mil6161

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe in most cases the shorter the head, the wider the cut with the same width blade. The elasticity of an animals hide will give a bit when the broadhead hits home and sort of fold over the head before penetration starts and then the cut becomes not the width but the length of the blade.
Push your finger into your gut, note how your skin gives and sort of folds over your fingertip. I believe this is why you hear about the little slick tricks causing such a hole.
Naturally theres many things that come into play. The point of the broadhead(does it cut on impact or not), does the hit smack a soft area or one over bone.

Happy Hunting
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts