Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What so special about these places other then new strings and fancy colors? Also wondering if most are loweing strands on your string, what is that doing to your warranty? Not to mention what kind of liability ins do these places have? Just curious?

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
most of them are siply timing and adjusting your bow to it's optimal settings. Bows from the factory are rarely even close. They aren't cheating or performing magic. They are just making everything right. You need a few things to do this that most people don't have. Bow press, draw board, some have hooter shooters. I do my own, and frankly, I can't believe the guys on here do it for hire as cheap as they do. It takes quite a bit of time.

·
Registered
49,189 Posts
Here we go again LOL. There is no such thing as "super" tune. That was a term coined on this site. The bow is either tuned or it isn't, plain and simple. Who you want and trust is all up to you. But just my .02 I would never ever send one of my bows off to a person that I can't see or talk to-------they don't know me or see me, so they can't set a bow up to me, to my liking. Can they tune a bow-----ya, but they are tuning a bow to themselves not me. Your choice and some people don't have the choice of someone close. But I've also seen too many people buy into this "super" tune, again the bow is either tuned or it isn't.:)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Here we go again LOL. There is no such thing as "super" tune. That was a term coined on this site. The bow is either tuned or it isn't, plain and simple. Who you want and trust is all up to you. But just my .02 I would never ever send one of my bows off to a person that I can't see or talk to-------they don't know me or see me, so they can't set a bow up to me, to my liking. Can they tune a bow-----ya, but they are tuning a bow to themselves not me. Your choice and some people don't have the choice of someone close. But I've also seen too many people buy into this "super" tune, again the bow is either tuned or it isn't.:)
Yes and no. Factory specs are just that. A set of spec that a vast majority of a mast produced specific bow will perform "adequately" when aligned to.

Given differences in tolerances a bow could be spot on given factory specs but no were near its optimal capabilities. To super tune (call it what you will), you are taking that single bow and specing it out given its specific parameters, i.e limb deflection, cam orientation, string performance, etc.

To get the absolute most out of the bow it does help to have the shooter there to tailor the tuning to their specific form. This is not completely essential as the numbers you achieve on your scale and chrono will tell when the bow is at its best. When this point is reached it may not be anywhere near the factory ATA, BH. So is it tuned? by definition no, by performance yes.

The term "Super Tuned" is not coined by this site. It is also a term that has been around in the fishing tackle industry for a long time, i.e. Super Tuned reels, and the high performance engine industry.

Sorry for the long winded reply, just my .25 cents worth (Obama inflation).

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
two bows, one "Super Tuned" the other not, put in a Hooter shooter at 30 yards...will the "Super Tuned" bow outscore the other bow?

·
Registered
49,189 Posts
Yes and no. Factory specs are just that. A set of spec that a vast majority of a mast produced specific bow will perform "adequately" when aligned to.

Given differences in tolerances a bow could be spot on given factory specs but no were near its optimal capabilities. To super tune (call it what you will), you are taking that single bow and specing it out given its specific parameters, i.e limb deflection, cam orientation, string performance, etc.
To get the absolute most out of the bow it does help to have the shooter there to tailor the tuning to their specific form. This is not completely essential as the numbers you achieve on your scale and chrono will tell when the bow is at its best. When this point is reached it may not be anywhere near the factory ATA, BH. So is it tuned? by definition no, by performance yes.

The term "Super Tuned" is not coined by this site. It is also a term that has been around in the fishing tackle industry for a long time, i.e. Super Tuned reels, and the high performance engine industry.

Sorry for the long winded reply, just my .25 cents worth (Obama inflation).
In my world that's called tuning a bow, nothing "super" about it, it's called doing it correctly. Specs of a bow are only a small part of tuning a bow-----performance is the up most part. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
49,189 Posts
two bows, one "Super Tuned" the other not, put in a Hooter shooter at 30 yards...will the "Super Tuned" bow outscore the other bow?
Not really the shooter has more influnce than any bow. Not tuned, "super" or a machine.:)

·
Registered
24,598 Posts

I would have to agree with you. Everybody is looking for the most speed they can get out of a bow. I would guess that most of the speed out there is coming from the string. Most are going with halo serving .014 and this is were that gain in speed is. So order a set of good quality strings and have your local shop that you trust put them on and tune it up. If you don't have a local shop you trust then learn the ins and outs your self or ship it out to someone who you feel can get the job done. Whether its super tuned or tuned its the shooter that makes the difference in the end.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
I had a recent experience that might have had a "super tune" component to it. One day I had the strings off my Bengal and I noticed the idler wheel would barely turn. Martin had installed "factory spec" washers on either side, but they were so tight it was ridiculous. So I had to take about .012 off the surface of each washer. Now it spins freely and there's no wobble in the idler. That's beyond regular tuning.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It is not black and white. Rosh Performance takes a brand new factory Mustang off the lot that by all accounts is perfectly tuned and tweaks it with his knowledge but adds no parts and gets 40 more horse power. Is this just tuned or is it super tuned, high performance tuned better tuned or whatever you want to call it. It is not just "tuned"?

·
edthearcher
6,455 Posts
dale i agree with you but there are a lot of people who cant do it, like you and me, i guess you would say thats why we post to help as much as we can
but on the other hand if you took it into some pro shops you would pay as much and maybe not get the quality
i have never used a tuner, but new strings of your color choice
the bow tweeked to its best, strings installed d loop etc. that cost money
so all for the guys who want to send there bows in, go ahead

1 - 12 of 12 Posts