Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you hunt if the wind is at +25mph?

Thoughts???

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
thats EXACTLY what my problem is today!! winds are blowing like 25+ miles an hour but idk if it's even my time to head out...thought about just staying in and hunting in the morning but i want some meat in the freezer!!

·
Registered
11,579 Posts
I hunted yesterday evening in the wind. Seen one shooter buck, snuck up behind me. I couldnt hear a thing because it was soo windy. I suggest going out. Your not going to get that monster from your couch. You never know. :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I don't usually go out in 25+mph winds, but a buddy slowly walks in the cornfields and has shot a few nice bucks this way.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I don't usually go out in 25+mph winds, but a buddy slowly walks in the cornfields and has shot a few nice bucks this way.
That is just what i was going to say. With this much wind when im in stand i worry about the arrow flight getting messed up.
matt

·
Registered
495 Posts
Spot and stalk.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spot & Stalk could be fun!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Yes Ive seen and harvested big bucks on windy days. Hunting from the ground works well whether it be a natural blind, or spot and stalk. You get away with more movement. Shot one of my best bucks when the winds were howling at 40 mph+, and the temps were close to zero. Anytime I have time off scheduled for hunting I go unless the conditions are just too unbearable.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I stayed at home yesterday to get some work done. Thought it would be more productive. ha, ha I don't have a stand in a big tree for the kind of winds we had yesterday!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I hunted yesterday in the wind.........you can read about my misfortune if you want to search for it on another thread........I shot a big buck (for me anyway) yesterday but didn't recover it (yes I'm heading back out to look again after work today I've already put in 6 hours in searching).....never heard it come in and more importantly didn't hear a single thing after the shot except tree's blowing around....should you hunt yes cause you can't kill them while playing xbox but take precautions with the wind after the shot cause you won't hear the deer go down most likely.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
went out last night with winds blowing about 25mph steady and gusting to 40+mph, killed a doe at about 7:30pm, like someone else said earlier, you can't kill one sitting on the couch

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hunted yesterday in the wind.........you can read about my misfortune if you want to search for it on another thread........I shot a big buck (for me anyway) yesterday but didn't recover it (yes I'm heading back out to look again after work today I've already put in 6 hours in searching).....never heard it come in and more importantly didn't hear a single thing after the shot except tree's blowing around....should you hunt yes cause you can't kill them while playing xbox but take precautions with the wind after the shot cause you won't hear the deer go down most likely.
Bummer sir! Best wishes on the trailing

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Thats why you have eating tag soup!!:eek: You dont need to be in a tree to kill a deer. Think outside the box!

I stayed at home yesterday to get some work done. Thought it would be more productive. ha, ha I don't have a stand in a big tree for the kind of winds we had yesterday!

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
Would you hunt if the wind is at +25mph?

Thoughts???
Hell yes i'd be hunting, Get a Ghillie suit and get on the ground. The deer are there their just not moving as much, With winds in the 25 mph range the deer will have one hell of a time scenting you and the loud wind will cover your noise. Perfect time to ground stalk!

·
Team #29 TBA
2,090 Posts
We had 40 MPH gust here in southern Missouri yesterday and I saw 4 does and 2 bucks. They were edgy, but you gotta get out there!!! Good luck! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Just giving you a hard time.:darkbeer:

Season has been open for 9 days. Easy there big fella. lol The next two weekends I'm heading down south. :whoo:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One thing I have noticed when it is windy. I think the deer tend to get out in the open to get free of the bugs in the early buggy MN season.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts