Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys try and support your local shop?

I honestly try but I find it difficult sometimes. I want to use carbon express arrows, b-stinger, carter, tightspot etc. and the local shop doesn't carry those. I asked him to order it but he can't. Also I have ordered other stuff in the past and three weeks later still not in, his supplier is having trouble getting it. I go online and its at my door in 5 days. Why can I get items to my door faster than my shop can get them? (I know the answer, rhetorical question).

Then this week I drive the 20 minutes out to the shop to spend a bunch of money on gifts and accessories and there is a sign on the door that says "Closed at 3 today". It was the only night this week I could get an hour and a half to go out there. The result was that I just ordered stuff from eBay, basspro, cabelas, and 60X.

I don't think I even need to mention the better prices online.

I don't mind paying a bit more sometimes and I think its good to have a shop locally but man it is WAY easier for me to buy online. Also I do all my own work so I am not dependant on the shop.

Anyways thought I would rant about my conflict, I desire to support local but 9/10 it makes way more sense for me to just order online. Good luck to all the local shop owners its a tough market. I'm glad the bow companies force shop sales and no online I'm sure its what keeps the shops alive.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
If your local shop isn't willing to sell you stuff you can only do so much. We will order anything if a customer really wants it. Of course we suggest what we carry for many reasons but bottom line is we don't push customers away because they want other stuff than we carry, especially if we have the ability to order it. Shops like the one you describe only last so long, eventually someone else just as knowledgable from a technical side will come along and run him out of business, or someone else will open when he has to close his doors. There is not much money in the archery shop business, shops needs to make every penny they can and keep customers coming back.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hear you! I try supporting my shop but it's hard at times. I ordered a new bow case 2 weeks ago hoping it would be here by Christmas. It's not looking like that will happen. I could have saved $10 and had it a week ago. I have many more examples.

Some people are not good at running a business, they still are of the mindset that they are doing us a favor by getting this stuff in when the reality is in many cases it's us, the customer, doing them a favor because it's generally easier and quicker to get things online. The shops need to provide something to make up for the ease of buying online.

My shop is almost doubling their range fees in January, I'm guessing that's a result of people buying online. I will pay the higher range fees and still support them when it makes sense for me but I will no longer go out of my way to purchase from them.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I buy a lot of my stuff right here off at. I do buy some stuff at the shops and pay to shoot but most of the stuff I want they don't have.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I buy from the local guy when I can. I used to buy online just to save a few bucks but I like having the local shop so if it is a matter of a small difference in price, I buy local. But if he has to order something to get it, then not only do I pay more I also have to drive to the shop when it arrives. Frankly that is a PITA more often than not. Since I have a press and I also make my own arrows, it is pretty rare these days that I have a need to go to the shop. But he has an indoor range too, and I like to go there in the dead of winter and shoot. So I spend some money there when I can.

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's pretty simple;if your shop doesn't carry what you want there is no reason not to order online.I supported my local shop by purchasing my bow and all accessories.I have since purchased a different stabilizer and two doz. arrows on line.I could have bought my bow online but try to help the local shops out.
Benefit from this;I cut a string,he took one off a new bow to replace mine.Need a retune after shooting in;he did it no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts