Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Product Review: Sure-Loc
Lethal Weapon Red.

This is a relatively new bow sight that I've seen mentioned a few times here and around the Internet, but I haven't seen much information on it specifically and nearly all pictures of it I've seen came straight off Sure-Loc's website.

1. First Impressions:
It is very heavy. I believe it weighs right around 13oz. It seems to be very well made and it should be for the price. It seems long for a hunting sight. Much longer from the riser than I'm used to seeing anyway. It is 9 inches long overall. Fiber optics are completely enclosed and well protected. They are bright and easy to see. Not the brightest I've ever seen, but that's the trade off for fully protected fibers.

2. Set Up:
This can be time consuming depending on how fussy you are getting to perfection. It can be adjusted on 5 axes. Once you get these where you want them you can set your first pin. I followed the instructions and set my first pin at 20 yards and then set the retina lock. Setting pins is incredibly easy. Simply loosen the set screw a turn or two, and start turning the micro adjust knob. You can do one pin at a time or move all of them at the same time if you need to without moving the scope.

3. Functionality:
I have not had any issues with anything on this so far. Everything works and adjusts just like it's advertised. Adjusting it is as smooth as butter. No jumping/binding of the parts and pieces. The brightness of the light is adjustable and it does light up the retina lock with the pins. No rattles/weird noises come from the sight.

4. Overall Thoughts:
It is a fantastic bow sight! Is it worth $400? Well... I haven't decided yet. Some might see it as overkill for a sight you're going to smack off trees and stuff wondering around the woods, but I honestly think I could throw it from my tree stand and it would be just fine. It's that heavy duty feeling. I look foreword to hunting with it for years to come and I am very excited about finally getting it.

This is my first post here and also the first review I've ever done. If you want more info on something specific about the Lethal Weapon Red sight feel free to ask. I'll do my best to explain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
These look nice, I was thinking of getting one myself. I would get a 5 in. Thanks

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Hey how good is the dove tail, coud you slid it back then out without losing accuracy My Spot Hogg is a little loose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't see any reason why this wouldn't stay true if it was removed and reinstalled in the same place. The dovetail has recessed marks on it to ensure the set screw is locked down in the same place. Once it's tight, it's tight. There is no movement. This is my first dovetail so I can't compare it to anything, but I'd feel confident removing it for storage if I had to and reinstalling it with no accuracy issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
A review I seen says the sight felt flimsy from all the adjustments, is this true? Also are the pins easy to see outside without a light? As good as a Spot Hogg? Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would in no way describe this sight as flimsy. Once the set screws are tight, it's tight. There is no movement/play in anything. The only way I could see it described as flimsy would be if they didn't have it tight. Right now I only have them snug and it is solid.

As far as brightness goes, the Spot Hogg pins do seem brighter. They're might be a total of 10" of fiber per pin on the sure-loc. The brightest sight I have result available to me is an AXT carbon carnivour. I will post pics of both sights outside to compare when it gets light out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would in no way describe this sight as flimsy. Once the set screws are tight, it's tight. There is no movement/play in anything. The only way I could see it described as flimsy would be if they didn't have it tight. Right now I only have them snug and it is solid.

As far as brightness goes, the Spot Hogg pins do seem brighter. They're might be a total of 10" of fiber per pin on the sure-loc. The brightest sight I have readily available to me is an AXT carbon carnivour. I will post pics of both sights outside to compare when it gets light out.

I need to add that the AXT carbon carnivour I have in the pictures has had its pins changed to have .010 fibers in it. Those fibers are 12" long and 95+% exposed aside from the clear Teflon tubing they're in. They are very bright. Sky conditions are very overcast and unable to see direct sunlight.

*edit*
I guess the snow pictures aren't going to show much since the picture distorts when you zoom in but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. The Sure-Loc looks about the same on the trees, maybe a little lighter on the snow. I'm thinking I'm going to pick one up and try it soon. Do you like the Retina Lock? does it help keep you lined up with your grip? I'm not sure if I like that but if I'm getting one I might as well get that model. Thanks for the great review and pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the first I've used a retina lock sight and it is pretty cool. I have fairly good form, but this is just a little reassurance. It is weird to shoot with at first and the way mine is set up, it would be nearly impossible to shoot with one eye closed. I have my top pin almost as high up as I can in the scope so I can stretch out the 7 pins when we get some nice weather. The more I shoot with it, the less I look for the retina lock and just see it out of my peripheral vision. I don't shoot with a peep and I'm actually thinking about removing my kisser since I have the extra reassurance from the retina lock. It doesn't take much torque at all to see it. I wasn't totally sure about it either, but I thought I might as well get it with retina lock just to try. If you have the opportunity to check out the sight out of the box or even shoot with it, I would highly recommend it before making a $400 commitment.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hey how good is the dove tail, coud you slid it back then out without losing accuracy My Spot Hogg is a little loose.
I have one also, a 5 pin. I have removed sought from dovetail and reinstalled a few times already and nothing moved, retina loc was still perfectly aligned each time.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
A review I seen says the sight felt flimsy from all the adjustments, is this true? Also are the pins easy to see outside without a light? As good as a Spot Hogg? Thanks
Flimsy? Absolutely not! If someone said that in a review they are ridiculous. This is the first retina loc sight that I think I will own for a long time. Very good quality sight. I honestly think it is worth the $400 it is that well built.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I will also add that I owned 2 of the earlier versions of the Sure Loc Lethal Weapon with retina loc. The new 'red' version is to me light years better than the earlier version. When everything is set and locked down, it stays there, no movement of retina loc or sight housing after its set. Not the case for me with the earlier versions.

·
sometimes reality hurts
3,480 Posts
the dove tail is identical to the ones used on their target sights, it just uses a grub screw instead of a knob to lock down. I would expect it to be quite reliable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the review I'm looking at getting this sight but could not find any info othe then from sure locs web sight. Anyone know a dealer that has right hand ones in stock

·
Registered
566 Posts
I just got my 5 pin tonight, it is replacing my Spott Hog It 5 pin and it is a super high quality sight. just handling it you know it is a high quality, high end, high priced!, sight but you get what you pay for. I had the original version of the IQ sight and liked the retina feature, but did not like how the sight was built. When I found out about the lethal weapon, well, I had to have it. I really like my spott hog, super high quality as you would expect so it is going on my back up bow. Having shot the retina lock before, it really helps when it comes time you have to shoot in an awkward position or long distance. Thanks for the review, I totally agree with it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
geat reviews guys you all reassured me this is the one I want ordering tomorrow

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delayed response. The axis are not difficult to adjust, but they are time consuming to get them set up. they have a "lock" screw that is to be tightened after making adjustment to keep everything in place. I'm pointing to a lock screw in the second picture. There are also 2 screws used for the micro adjust of the axis itself. Depending on which way you need the axis to move, depends on which screw you tighten/loosen. I'm pointing to an adjustment screw in picture 1. There is no lock for the left/right axis, but it is stiff enough it's not going anywhere unless you want it to. There is a lock for every other axis on this sight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts