Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wanting to set a 3-D bow and would like to know the difference between the 6 and 9 inch sight bars, does it help having the sight bar longer and putting the scope that little bit closer to the target or does the 6 inch bar do better. thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Extending the bar out creates distance between your sight aperture or scope lens and the peep sight on your string. That lessens the margin of error.

It also changes your pin gap, so when you get your sight, be sure you extend it the same distance each time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will have to buy the scope seperate right, and when i get one is the bigger scope or the smaller scope the better one to get. what magnifications can you get them in. thanks

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Yes, you buy the sight frame itself, and equip it with whatever brand of scope you want.

For all-purpose target shooting and 3D, I'd suggest getting an average diameter or even large scope housing. Some guys like the small ones though, but your field of view is much more limited. If this is your first scope go with a 3x or 4x lens.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
and what does it mean with .50 Diop or .30 Diop
SureLoc scopes' lenses are measured in diopters, which is lens-people speak for magnification. There are a lot of factors that go into it (and I think they have a chart on their website), but a .5 is about 4x, and a .3 would be less magnification that that, etc...

You don't have to buy a SureLoc scope to go on a SureLoc sight. They fit up very nice because they're made for each other, but you can use any scope with a 10-32 rod on that sight. SureLoc scopes are super-expensive, but are the benchmark product.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Welcome to AT.com by the way :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and is it the same for the size of the scope (diameter), that when it is on a 9 inch extension that the smaller scope diameter will lessen mistakes more so than the bigger ones. and by the way what are some good 3-d sites to go to and find out where all of the 3-d tourneys are at. thanks

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
The scope diameter itself won't reduce the possible error. And just an fyi, the longer you extend the front sight distance from the peep the greater degree of accuracy is only good if you can hold it steady enough. The longer the sight extension is the less movement it will take to move off or onto the spot. The longer extension will also show more of your movement during the shot, i.e. may not appear as steady. Hence there is a trade-off with the longer extensions. Also bear in mind, many like to use the scope housing framed up in the peep sight as an additional point of reference. If you plan on using a long extension you in all likelihood will not want to go too small on the scope diameter otherwise it will be very difficult to frame the housing up in the scope unless using an extremely small peep. Also, sounds like you're planning on using the scope for 3D shooting. If so, then I'd suggest sticking with something larger in diameter. If you go too small your field of view gets too limited (i.e. can't see enough of the animal) and for some animals you may have difficulties picking out a reference point to aim at -- see nothing but black or brown with no definition. If you stick with a larger diameter scope -- something in the 1 3/4" range or larger -- and keep the power low, like 0.50 or even lower diopter (4x or smaller in other scope-speak), you should be able to see enough of the animal to pick a spot even when there is nothing specific to aim at.

Just my thoughts anyways................:)

>>-------->

·
aka "5 Spot"
9,756 Posts
Ryan,
Sent you a PM

Welcome to AT - I'm just up the road from you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts