Archery Talk Forum banner

Surgery

800 Views 12 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  stans806
Anyone on here had back surgery? I'm getting ready to have 2 disks replaced and a couple of pins installed. How long were you laid up, and how long before you could shoot again?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,544 Posts
Anyone on here had back surgery? I'm getting ready to have 2 disks replaced and a couple of pins installed. How long were you laid up, and how long before you could shoot again?
Wow that is tough! I had a friend that went through surgery and is now back in action. I think the time all depends on your specific surgery, your body, and how much you stick to your physical therapy. The more disciplined you are with those PT exercises, the sooner you will be back! Good luck.

· Registered
9,278 Posts
Definitely a lot of variables involved in a persons post-op recovery, but as stated keep up with the physio and you should recover quickly and fully.

· Registered
552 Posts
That really stinks about the back surgery, a couple of my Uncles had it and my dad has just barely avoided it over the years. His keeps going out though, so anytime now. I am not trying to be a negative person but if I were you I would put in an application for a Xbow. The worst thing you could do is get everything working right and then re-injure yourself drawing a bow too early. I know Xbows are a subject of debate but for cases like yours I'm all for them.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Which area of the back? I have had 2 cervical disk surgeries and they were a breeze but required about 6 months before back to "normal" activities such as shooting guns and achery. Lower back will require more time as larger muscles are affected.

Good luck with your surgery and may you have a speedy recovery!!

Marc:darkbeer::darkbeer:

· Registered
6,011 Posts
I had back surgery on my L4-L5, L5-S1, and the first week is the worst and I was shooting a bow at 60# in 4 months. Hurts like hell the first week but it is worth it.

· Registered
375 Posts
I-m 3 weeks out from having L5-S1 replaced. First days sucks!!! First week isnt fun but everyday you get a little better and you have to remind yourself it's a long recovery process. Biggest thing is doing what Dr tells you to do and just letting your body heal and hopefully ending up better than before. I'm still waiting on that part but theres a reason they tell you 6 month recovery. They will have you up and walking at the hospital pretty quickly it's just painful. I was only in for 4days Good luck.

· Registered
6,011 Posts
I-m 3 weeks out from having L5-S1 replaced. First days sucks!!! First week isnt fun but everyday you get a little better and you have to remind yourself it's a long recovery process. Biggest thing is doing what Dr tells you to do and just letting your body heal and hopefully ending up better than before. I'm still waiting on that part but theres a reason they tell you 6 month recovery. They will have you up and walking at the hospital pretty quickly it's just painful. I was only in for 4days Good luck.
forgot about getting up and walking the next day after surgery:eek:. After surgery remember to walk alot. There are also alot of products out there to help you through this. They make a no rinse shampoo and soap, because no shower until the staples are out. Just remember to take it easy, I think I started physical theraphy too soon and that is the reason I still have leg pain. 3 weeks after surgery I felt great no leg pain or hardly any pain at all and then at 6 weeks they sent me to physical theraphy and that is when my leg pain came back. But it is still alot better than before surgery

· Registered
360 Posts
I had back surgery last July. I'm 42 and a pretty big guy and the doc said I would miss deer season. I refused to listen to any of that stuff. Started shooting daughters bow 2nd week of september and was pulling 60# by opening day. The best advice I can give is to walk, and then walk some more! Good luck!

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I hope to be able to do alot of walking once the surgery is done. I've been dealing with the pain for alot of years and it has really gotten bad in the last year. I haven't been able to do much in that time so I've put on some weight. I'm hoping once it is done, the pain in my leg will be gone and I will eventually be able to exercise again. Looks like the surgery is going to be done sometime in April. Even if I have to go the 6 months that will put me into early October, and hopefully won't miss much of bow season. I live in Indiana so anyone can use a crossbow during the season that they have for it. That's always one to fall back on, but I really want to be able to bowhunt again.

· Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had back surgery on my L4-L5, L5-S1, and the first week is the worst and I was shooting a bow at 60# in 4 months. Hurts like hell the first week but it is worth it.

That's exactly the surgery I'm going to have to have done.

· Registered
6,011 Posts
pm sent to you.

· Registered
627 Posts
My back surgery was last April. Within 2 months of the surgery, I was shooting my bow again. Within 5 months I was playing raquetball daily, shooting, and carrying on as before the back problems existed. Good luck with yours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.