Votes: 75 78.9%
  • Hunter two

Votes: 20 21.1%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunter one has a deer come in but turns and heads away giving him a bow shot at 39-41 yards. He is an accomplished hunter and has shot several deer farther. He decides to take the shot and hits the deer 10" forward from his aim point hitting the deer right in front of the shoulder, severing the carotid artery and wind pipe.

Deer jumps, kicks and runs with its tail wagging 130 yards to Hunter 2's position

Hunter 2 yells at deer to stop it, takes aim and shoots under deer. Deer doesn't move and Hunter 2 has time to bend down and get arrow off quiver, nock it, put on release, draw, aim and shoot , hitting deer a little back on last two ribs. Deer runs another 130 yards and stops, tail wagging and head down, then walks another 30 yards and drops.

Both shots would be deemed a lethal shot by the states DNR officers

Upon finding deer who should be awarded the deer?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Who "should" be awarded the deer or who "will" be awarded the deer? Historically, many hunters follow the first lethal hit. BUT, legally (at least here in Michigan) it is the hunter who "takes possession" of the deer.

Given some of my experiences, usually the hunter who is bigger or has a larger posse will end up with the deer :wink:

Dan

·
Registered
24,900 Posts
who ever made the first killing shot. so #1 gets it

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,993 Posts
not sure if I want a super deer propaly tough as hell if it could go 130yds with severed carotid artery and sliced wind pipe the anouther 130 with a lung or liver hit. what broadheads don't ever want to buy them.

first leathal hit should get the deer

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was an actual event

Was told by a Whitetail biologist that a deer could make it 30 seconds tops from the first hit or 300-400 yards

·
Registered
239 Posts
thats a tough one but i picked the second shooter, well i dunno, i say you each get an antler, each one back strap, each 1 shoulder 1 ham, then each one bran new target and learn to shoot!:wink:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Hunter #1 should get it.

That deer was dead before hunter #2 shot it.

JMO

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thats a tough one but i picked the second shooter, well i dunno, i say you each get an antler, each one back strap, each 1 shoulder 1 ham, then each one bran new target and learn to shoot!:wink:
Wanna place some $$$ on a shoot off???:)

I always love when someone says learn to shoot, like they've never missed or mad an off shot LOL

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Good luck with the 1st shot scenario if Hunter #2 takes possession of the deer and the DNR is involved, at least here in Michigan. I have seen this play out several times.

I agree with Hunter #1 "should" get it. Should and will is 2 different things.
Dan

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Wow that deer musta had some will to live...seeing as how it had no wind pipe or carotid artory and made it 300yds.....:confused:

I award the deer to the second as his shot sounds more......

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well PA, both were cut/severed, seen it with my own eyes

Had a big doe this year, 3 1/2 yr old, quartering away, shot out both lungs, nothing but jello left, she made it over 190 yards, 29 seconds on my video tape, and it was recorded .

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Crappy deal... Here the law states it goes home with the person that reduces it to posession. If I were hunter#2 I'd offer it to hunter#1 before claiming it. On the other hand I think if I am hunting within 130yards of other people your almost inviting trouble.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Hunter #1 made a killing shot, no more to be said.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
I say split the deer. Is this a 170 or better ? :mg:

Crazy Wolf

·
Harley ridin' bowhunter
1,250 Posts
Who "should" be awarded the deer or who "will" be awarded the deer? Historically, many hunters follow the first lethal hit. BUT, legally (at least here in Michigan) it is the hunter who "takes possession" of the deer.

Given some of my experiences, usually the hunter who is bigger or has a larger posse will end up with the deer :wink:

Dan
My dad tells me that very same thing happened to him years ago during rifle season in Michigan. Two "hunters" with guns took his buck away from him!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts