Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Gainesville at Trials and VERY confused. In these days where so many are being fired, resigning and worse for sexual misconduct or even misrepresentation in a sexual manner why is this not the case with one of our own? We all have been informed of Mel Nicholas suspension for alleged misconduct, but here he is at Trials coaching. Am I wrong that our sport is now ok with a man who is suspended for a 6 month time period to be on the floor coaching? What message is this giving the victims? What message is this giving our sport? He was tried and convicted, but authorities do nothing?
Asked why this comment is my first post, why not? I think FITA JOAD is Just pretending nothing happened, maybe no one will notice. Well the wrong message is being sent by allowing this to happen.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I am in Gainesville at Trials and VERY confused. In these days where so many are being fired, resigning and worse for sexual misconduct or even misrepresentation in a sexual manner why is this not the case with one of our own? We all have been informed of Mel Nicholas suspension for alleged misconduct, but here he is at Trials coaching. Am I wrong that our sport is now ok with a man who is suspended for a 6 month time period to be on the floor coaching? What message is this giving the victims? What message is this giving our sport? He was tried and convicted, but authorities do nothing?
Asked why this comment is my first post, why not? I think FITA JOAD is Just pretending nothing happened, maybe no one will notice. Well the wrong message is being sent by allowing this to happen.
Maybe the suspension is over.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,759 Posts
That says he is suspended until March 18 2018.

You would think he would not be at any sanctioned USA Archery event in any capacity during the 6 months.

Otherwise, what is the suspension.

But to be honest, i had been told his suspension was a slap on the wrist, and the suspension only 6 months through the winter months when not much goes on. I have no idea if that is true but it does match the facts.

Chris

·
Lowered expectations
16,494 Posts
The suspension is from the organization only. I suspect that there is no rule in place requiring anyone to be a member in good standing in order to coach on or off the field. The archer can probably have anyone as "coach" with them, certified or not, and member or not.

·
4,759 Posts
If he can coach at a sanctioned USA archery event, then what is the suspension?

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is my point, so he gets suspended but struts around as if nothing happened. I personally know of an archer who is suspended in my opinion for doing less then Mel and that archer is NOT ALLOWED to step into the facilities to even watch. I feel this slap on the wrist is a slap in the faces of his victims. While Mel has been allowed to be coaching and participating at this event it shows that he is above the laws of FITA and JOAD. I am also just as disappointed with the athletes that he is there for, they know the rules, the suspensions and yet they also find it ok for him to be there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He should NOT be allowed on the field, and YES he is coaching. Sitting here watching this makes me sick to my stomach

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is very true, this was an on going investigation and the 6 months is not long enough when Zak got 12 months. Mel, an adult mentor knew what he was doing and used his power to influence MINORS ! This is NOT how our organization should be run.

·
Lowered expectations
16,494 Posts
If he can coach at a sanctioned USA archery event, then what is the suspension?

Chris
I'm not in any way defending the person (I have no idea what the details were) but I'm just suggesting that the rules regarding such a suspension are simply not comprehensive enough, and there's no legal basis to bar him from the field. The suspension seems to only apply to membership in USArchery and likely suspension of his credentials, so he can't rightfully call himself a "Level X" certified coach.

Obviously something needs to be addressed in terms of sanctions, but you can't really do that retroactively.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Hm. I’ve been here the whole time (morning and afternoon sessions) and can say that he’s been sitting there just watching things in the spectator area, which is perfectly legal.

This is a public event and is not an event that requires credentials to attend. USA Archery can’t restrict anyone from watching the Trials.

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
He should NOT be allowed on the field, and YES he is coaching. Sitting here watching this makes me sick to my stomach
well here is the issue. If I am an archer I have a right to contract with anyone I please to coach me. Mr Nichols, during the suspension is probably prohibited from participating as an athlete in a sanctioned USAA event. Mr Nichols as a coach cannot be part of a USAA team that represents the USA in international competition. Mr Nichols probably cannot serve as an instructor at a coaching certification event hosted under the auspices of the USAA. If an archer wants to hire Mr. Nichols to coach him or her I do not believe that the USAA can prevent that. and I believe that the archer would have good grounds to file suit or demand arbitration against the USAA if he or she was told that his or her choice of a coach was not permitted. Now, the point you make-should he be allowed in a building hosting a USAA event is one that is worth discussion and I have no position one way or another.

BTW are you familiar with the factual background of Mr. Nichols suspension and why exactly are "you sick to your stomach"?

Just curious what you actually know about this matter

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Hm. I’ve been here the whole time (morning and afternoon sessions) and can say that he’s been sitting there just watching things in the spectator area, which is perfectly legal.

This is a public event and is not an event that requires credentials to attend. USA Archery can’t restrict anyone from watching the Trials.
well that sort of puts an end to all the speculation
good post Steve

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Mel and I spent part of yesterday talking about WA rules and Brady’s boots, which included the infamous letter about how it is the opinion from WA powers that be that “Rodeo is not a sport”. At no time during the 4 hours we literally sat next to each other did any coaching occur.

Today he has been sitting in a spot next to the DOS stand, in plain view of the COJ and DOS. I’ve been nearby.

I do understand that this is a confusing issue. Let me simplify it - for the time being, he is the same as any private person. He can attend public functions. He can be a spectator. He can talk to anyone he wants to.

Since the Newberry Facility is public, and the tournament is a public tournament, anyone can come and watch.

USA Archery, like every NGB, is operating under what the Center for Safesport is having them do. Anything beyond that is not allowed per the contract between the NGB and Safesport.

So, if someone is not liking what is going on, they really need to contact the Center for Safesport. Posting on here about it isn’t going to be useful at all.

-Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so you bring up safe sport. I will take it one step further, IF a person is convicted of a sexual misconduct act ( which at this time Mel has not been officially convicted of, nor do I anticipate will happen with the same victims ) he gets placed on a sexual predator list..... which makes it illegal for him to be in a public building, park or grounds where minors are located. It then becomes a legal matter and that sticks with sexual predators for their life.
Since he is suspended from USAA I would have thought he would NOT be allowed in the venue. Having him present with the facts of his case is cause to make some females which he has had contact with uneasy, resulting in fear and the mental makeup of their shooting.
Yes I do know this case, way too well, yes the sight of him does upset me, as if he is mightier than a slap on his wrist. Sorry for the rant but some should have to pay for past actions

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Ok so you bring up safe sport. I will take it one step further, IF a person is convicted of a sexual misconduct act ( which at this time Mel has not been officially convicted of, nor do I anticipate will happen with the same victims ) he gets placed on a sexual predator list..... which makes it illegal for him to be in a public building, park or grounds where minors are located. It then becomes a legal matter and that sticks with sexual predators for their life.
Since he is suspended from USAA I would have thought he would NOT be allowed in the venue. Having him present with the facts of his case is cause to make some females which he has had contact with uneasy, resulting in fear and the mental makeup of their shooting.
Yes I do know this case, way too well, yes the sight of him does upset me, as if he is mightier than a slap on his wrist. Sorry for the rant but some should have to pay for past actions
do you know who brought the complaint and when did the incident in question take place?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I do know the facts.

Also well versed in our code of conduct in safe sport. You can review them on team USA. Google safe sport USA archery nd become familiar

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Yes I do know the facts.

Also well versed in our code of conduct in safe sport. You can review them on team USA. Google safe sport USA archery nd become familiar
well unlike you I am not some anonymous poster with a few posts and a couple days on this forum. I am a retired DOJ attorney who during my 24 year career handled hundreds of cases of sexual harassment, discrimination, Title VII cases and I recently completed a 6 year term as the Chairman of what USAA would call the board of justice and As SAFE SPORT chairman for another national governing body. Most of the people who post on this forum know who I am, have met me in person and have seen me, either as a competitor, a coach or a judge at one of approximately 40 national events I have attended over the last 22 years. So what I say here is attributable to me, not some nameless handle that most people have no idea who is saying that.

I am not taking any position on what Mr Nichols is accused of doing. I know Mr. Nichols, we sat together and interacted during the USOC "coach of the year" dinner and weekend in Colorado springs 6 years ago when I was the USAA "coach of the year" recipient and a finalist for the USOC volunteer coach of the year. I also know Mr. Nichols because two of the finalists for the 2016 team are archers from my club and through them I have interacted with Mr. Nichols. Based on that interaction, I have nothing but respect for Mr. Nichols based ONLY on my interaction with him and the interaction and help he has given to these two boys

that in no way mitigates or accentuates whatever alleged wrongdoing Mr. Nichols is accused of but I am mainly noting the legalities of a "ban" and what it cannot do

so perhaps your advice to me as to what I need to do to become familiar with this issue is a bit misplaced.

·
4,759 Posts
I know nothing of the details of the case, only what USA archery posted about the suspension. And i do not know Mel personally.

But i think if you are suspended by USA Archery for some infraction, then you shouldn't be at a sanctioned USA archery event. It may be allowed, but it doesnt look good for you in my opinion.

Chris

1 - 20 of 94 Posts