Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Vendor
85,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys Im a really big fan of the Swarovski El .I was looking to buy a new pair of binos. the clearity is perfect on the swarovski and the low light power is awesome on the Swarovski. So how do they compair to the razor or are they even close!!I really dont want to spend $1600 on theSwarovski but I want to be pleased. I had the Fury and They are crap compaired to Swarovski Slc

· Registered
1,491 Posts
Vortex makes a great bino "for the money". If you can find a way buy the EL's you will never regret it nor will you be selling the lesser binos you "settled" for in the classifieds next year for half what you paid for them so you can upgrade.

My advise, buy the best the first time and be done with it. It will be more cost effective in the end.

· Registered
407 Posts
x2!

Vortex are great bino's when compared to the midrange nikon, leupold etc. but the Swaro's cost as much as they do for a reason - and it isn't for the little eagle logo!

· Registered
5,341 Posts
My eyes can't tell enough difference to spend almost twice the money.

· Vendor
85,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
binos

Well my luck is that when I hunt I see most of my bucks at really low light and I have found my last pair of swarovski were awesome but I sold them bought a pair of Vortex Fury's had one week and just sold them.To me my son's tasco would be just as good for $25 dollars .I guess i was spoiled with the swarovski from before. I hear guys love the Vortex Razor then guys that say they are no where near as good. Well This is what Iwant a bino that is easy on the eyes to pick up game quickly and will be extremely good during low light situation. I was on a bow hunt last week in illinois and it was dark .I seen antlers and I could not see the deer with my binos my friend handed me his swarovski 10x 42 slc and I could count points to score him at around 170 inches so I know that the big bucks move late and it helps to see what they are so I can reposition my stand if its a big buck or not move it its a small buck.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
If you have the means, get the Swarovski. I quit buying the binocular of the year once I did.

· Registered
407 Posts
Both are nice glass.

FYI - Swarovski is releasing a new and improved EL line this spring.
Just did a little research on this - boy was I excited to see that they are going to put out HD glass on the EL's, and lighter weight. Then I found one site in the UK where they are listing them as "Coming Soon" - the price is 600 pounds higher than the standard EL's - thats $1000!! :mg:

Nope - I dont think HD is going to be worth that kind of price increase, since it mostly only benefits digital photography (digiscoping).

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Just did a little research on this - boy was I excited to see that they are going to put out HD glass on the EL's, and lighter weight. Then I found one site in the UK where they are listing them as "Coming Soon" - the price is 600 pounds higher than the standard EL's - thats $1000!! :mg:

Nope - I dont think HD is going to be worth that kind of price increase, since it mostly only benefits digital photography (digiscoping).
Some folks will think its worth it...and you'll be able to pick up their "old" standard ELs for less.:wink:

· Registered
5,479 Posts
I think this is a little unfair of a comparison.

Its kind of like asking to compare an Chevy Impala to a BMW M-5.

Both are nice cars but not in the same class.

The Vortex is a nice bino and very clear, but its not in the same class with the EL.

If you can, save some money for awhile and buy the ELs you won't be sorry.

However if you are looking for a glass that is in the same class but slightly cheaper, look at the Bushnell Elites. They are a couple hundred bucks cheaper and have all the clarity and light gathering of the Swaros. Leicas, IMO are the only ones that can out light gather the Elites.

Good luck!

· Registered
1,373 Posts
I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. I ended up buying the razors because I figured if nothing else I could sell them easily on here with all the vortex fans. The Swaros are brighter in very low light but for my needs they don't warrant an extra $1200. I usually bowhunt and if its to dark to see a deer with them anywhere near bow range its to late to shoot anyway. I have zeiss scopes on all my rifles and you can almost hunt at night with those things so if I see a big deer out there at last light with my rifle I will examine him with my scope. One thing I didn't like about the vortex and have been meaning to ask about this is. Where we were hunting elk in CO this year at 8-11,000ft both sides were not focusing together. I know that sounds weird but one side was slightly behind the other. I could not get them both to focus together. They were great here in OK before and after the CO hunt. They are working perfect right now. Can altitude affect this or are they defective in some way. And it wasn't my eyes I let several guys look through them without telling them anything was wrong and they all said these aren't focusing together. As anyone else ever heard of binoculars doing this? As others have said if money is no object I would go with the Swaro's or the new nikons are really good as well and about the same price as the Swaro's

· Registered
1,201 Posts
Pay me now....pay me later...

I'm in the Swarovski camp. Here's why:

1) Optical quality: anyone that has spent 1000's of hours behind optics glassing will probably notice differences such as: Clarity over the entire FOV. Some glass is really clear and bright in the center, but when you look off center it gets fuzzy. Good glass is optically true all the way out to the edge. This results in zero eye fatigue.

2) Warranty: I have had my SLC's for 9 years and have literally beat the tar out of them. I sent them in to be refurbished and I got new armour, all new glass, eye caps, objective lens covers, realignment of prisms to lenses, new seals and nitrogen purged; basically a brand new pair of binos for $100.

3) Company longevity: Swarovski has been around for a very long time and will be around for a very long time.

Once you buy the best you are pretty much done buying glass for 30+years.....unless you just can't help yourself and you want the latest and greatest.

Good luck with your decision.

-DR

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,061 Posts
Check out Alpen binoculars.

I've spend time behind swaro EL's and the Alpen Apex on the 3D range (etc.) and could tell VERY little difference between the two. I do think Swarovski's are probably the best glass you can buy and if you've got plenty of money to throw around then I'd say go for it....But....for glass that is surprisingly comparable at a far cheaper price (heck, you could buy a brand new bow with your savings) the Alpen lineup is a GREAT alternative to consider.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
I would go with the Vortex Razors or Vipers....

I was in the same boat you were. I spent 2 whole days on a 3-D course with some friends comparing the Vortex Razors and Vipers to the Swaros ELs. I have perfect vision and could tell no difference in the quality of glass with the ELs. The Vortex Razors and Vipers were right there with them in everyway and beats the ELs in price and warranty. I went with the Viper 10x42 because they were a bit cheaper and I liked the size and shape of them better. Vortex service/warranty is UNBEATABLE!!!

Take the extra $1000 you save and buy a new bow or go on a nice hunt!!

· Registered
9,602 Posts
Honestly....if I could not afford the ELs (I stole my 8.5x42 ELs for $800...thanks ERK!)....Vortex would be my next choice.

I was wondering what the price increase would be on the new Swaro glass. Meleagris1 and I are waiting for the new spotting scopes to come out. Boy.....we are really going to have to break the bank for the new models. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anyway, you cannot go wrong with either choice IMO. :darkbeer:

· Registered
676 Posts
The bottom line here again comes down to what your budget is, the amount of haggling between friends and your wish list. :)

Both glasses are superior in quality. One of my best friends is the owner of a large Pro-shop here in central WI. His main line of glasses was Swarovski, Nikon and Leopold. His personal glasses were the 10x42 ELs and yes they are very nice as should be expected. I own the 12x50 Razors and have depended on these for their clarity and quality many times on the competitive side of things everywhere from Redding CA. to the Eastern States. I have also used these for hunting - Archery as well as Rifle.

I am able to see very well in early mornings as well as late evenings with awesome detail, clarity as well as light gathering. There would be no reason to need anything that is capable to outperform these because it’s well past hunting hours at that point. :wink:

My friend with the Pro-Shop now also retails the Vortex line because as hard as he tried and he is darn picky he was not able to tell any difference in clarity or light gathering features between the glasses, his ELs versus my Razors, also it’s really tough to beat the VIP Warranty by Vortex, mine have been used and abused do to what they have to do 80+ days a year and I see no need to go elsewhere, even with my aging eyesight :tongue:

Just my opinion, try them both for yourself and then you decide. :)

· Registered
498 Posts
El's

If you have the money Get the EL's worth every penny you pay. I'd even recomend saving until you can afford them if needed. I've bought a lot of binoculars and once I bought Swarovski I don't have to go any farther.

Target 1

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.