Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a 6o-70Lb Switchback with 65% let off cam. I haven't shot a switchback with this cam. I've shot all my previous my previous mathew's at this let off, so I just assumed I would stay the same. my dealer said mine was the first switchback he ordered with the 65% let off. Anyone else shooting the 65? What's everyones oppinion?

·
Bowhunter
5,209 Posts
I have 60- lb limbs with an 80% letoff. I ordered 80% in order to get more hunting years out of my shoulders. Hopefully that is planning way ahead :D .
It will also allow me to hold steady for more time at full draw if I need it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
not a switchback but I shoot an AR34 with a 65% let off. I have another bow that is 80% and feel like i hold the lower let off better than the higher. However I am only pulling back 60 pounds.

good luck with your new bow
todd

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Switchback...

I have shot both the 65% and the 80% let-off on the Switchback. I purchased the 80% let-off. To me, the 65% was pretty harsh on the draw due to the almost non-existent valley and "hair trigger" hold at the wall (full draw). It just didn't feel like the same bow. I know that it is all subjective to the individual and whe he/she is used to or prefers, but it just seemed way to harsh for a hunting rig that I may be at full draw for a while waiting out that buck's eyes. This bow draws and shoots so smooth and is so fast at 80%, that I wasn't really concerned with the 65% let-off. Just my .02...
Great bow!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't feel alone. I ordered the 65% also because the dealer stocked only 80% letoff. 80% seems to be the craze nowadays. I found the draw cycle to be exactly the same on both with the exception of the letoff obviously and the shorter valley on the 65%. I actually prefer the short valley since it forces me to hold consistent form without creeping forward. In fact I was thinking about the 80% after shooting it until the dealer said the 65% had a very short valley, I told him order it. I am happy I did, I really like it. I also find that the additional poundage actually makes me hold the bow more steady.

Besides, who wants an asterick next to their name in the record books? :D

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
BadlandsmanND said:
Don't feel alone. I ordered the 65% also because the dealer stocked only 80% letoff. 80% seems to be the craze nowadays. I found the draw cycle to be exactly the same on both with the exception of the letoff obviously and the shorter valley on the 65%. I actually prefer the short valley since it forces me to hold consistent form without creeping forward. In fact I was thinking about the 80% after shooting it until the dealer said the 65% had a very short valley, I told him order it. I am happy I did, I really like it. I also find that the additional poundage actually makes me hold the bow more steady.

Besides, who wants an asterick next to their name in the record books? :D

Correct me if I am wrong...but I believe that they have officially changed some of the specifics for entry into the recordbook, to fully specifically allow the use of 80% let-off bows. There will be no * in the book in that case. :D

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Corrected

SirWilliam said:
Correct me if I am wrong...but I believe that they have officially changed some of the specifics for entry into the recordbook, to fully specifically allow the use of 80% let-off bows. There will be no * in the book in that case. :D
The P&Y Club began accepting entries harvested by compound bows that have let-off greater than 65% (provided they are legal, in the state/province where used, AND meet the Club's remaining definition of a hunting bow). Any record book entry with a compound bow exceeding 65% in let-off will be listed with an asterisk (*) in the Records and in the record books.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I had the exact same situation as you Pap&YBowhunter. When I ordered my SB with 70 lb. and a 65% let-off on my draw, the dealer just looked dumbstruck :eek: He asked me several times if that was for sure what I wanted and I kept telling him yes. Says it was the first time he has ever ordered a 65% let-off cam for those bows (considering how many they sell, that was a shocker). I haven't shot an 80% cam on this bow, but on other bows I have. When I tried the 65% on another bow, I loved how firm it felt at full draw with the short valley. With the 80% I was getting way too much creep at full draw, I know weird, but I guess that this really lets you feel it and know if you're letting off ever so slightly.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
correction...

I found it now...thanks for the clarification. Here it is copied out off their website.

Changes to Records Program - % Let-off Rule (9/23/2004 7:01:00 AM)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an effort to "resolve" a very hotly debated and divisive issue, the Pope and Young Club's Board of Directors has been developing a possible compromise solution to the ongoing debate over the Club's well-known 65% let-off limit on compound bows.

A solution was finally adopted by the Board and forwarded to the Club's Regular Members and Senior Members (voting members) for a vote on a change to the Club's By-laws. That vote concluded on Friday, November 14th, and the ballots have been tallied. By a vote of 294-148, the membership passed the motion.

THE CHANGE

The proposal called for a change to the Records Program, whereby the Club would begin accepting entries harvested by compound bows that have let-off greater than 65% (provided they are legal, in the state/province where used, AND meet the Club's remaining definition of a hunting bow). Any record book entry with a compound bow exceeding 65% in let-off will be listed with an asterisk (*) in the Records and in the record books.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My dealer only stocks 65%, which is what I have. He told me the 80% makes it easier to torque the bow. I don't know if this is true or not, but since I've only ever had 65% let off, I didn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got mine @ 65% letoff and i like it alot. I was told i would also get better performance with the 65%.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Mathews Switchback Bow… The Best Way to the Top
From Mathews Inc.

Mathews, the inventor of single-cam technology, and many other revolutionary compound bow innovations, announces for 2005 the introduction of its most innovative bow ever -- the Mathews Switchback.

Mathews' all-new Cobra Cam with dual perimeter weighted technology is at the center of this performance. It has allowed Switchback to be designed with a generously comfortable 7-inch brace height. Yet, Switchback clocks a sizzling 318 fps (approx.) IBO rating. That's right … it's silky smooth and it sizzles!

Also, Mathews, the leader in vibration-canceling, super-silent performance has taken another step higher with two more harmonic dampers, these built into its innovative Roller Guard.

Switchback is aptly named -- the smartest, most efficient way to the top of the mountain, a Mathews quest since the company began business in 1992. Combining Mathews' innovations like single-cam technology, the perimeter-weighted cam, harmonic dampers, string suppressors, parallel limb design, roller guard, In-Line grip, V-Lock limb cups, etc. along with new-for-2005 innovations, Switchback has proven in laboratory testing to be Mathews' best design ever!

The new Mathews Switchback … the best way to the top!

Mathews SWITCHBACK Specifications

IBO Rating: 318 fps (approx.)
AMO Rating: 241 fps (approx.)
Cam: StraightLine Cobra (with dual perimeter weights)
Draw length: 26-30 inches (half sizes from 26 1/2-29 1/2)
Draw weight: 40-70 pounds
Axle-to-axle: 33 inches (approx.)
Brace height: 7 inches (approx.)
Physical weight: 4.34 pounds (approx.)
Let-off: 65% (approx.) or 80% (approx.)

Visit www.mathewsinc.com

• Hunting Lease Liability
Insurance
• Magazine Advertising Info
• Member Benefits
• Free Weekly Tips
• Buckmasters Theme Song
• Join Buckmasters
• Forums
• Buckmasters.net
• TV Shows & News
• Story Search
• Online Game

GEAR GRAB 2005 CUSTOMER SERVICE FORUMS FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS CONTACT US HOME

copyright © 2005 Buckmasters Whitetail Magazine • www.Buckmasters.com

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just ordered mine at 65% letoff also

That is all I have ever shot and I liked the short valley on my Outback when set to 65%.

Durcab, why do you keep posting the same Mathews ad on several threads? Not being a smartarsh, just wondering.

Elwood

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the info guys. I don't think I will be upset with the 65% let off. I know I shot my ovation better at 65 than 80%. When I finally switched the peg over it made me wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
28,189 Posts
If you can shoot the ovation at 65% you won't have any problem with the SB. I test shot both before I got an 80% SB and I think the valley feels better on the cobra cam then the HP cam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts