Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So..i was thinking.... what if ya put monster cams on a switchback or an outback? I know the limb pockets are offset, but I think it could be done. Mr series limbs are a little shorter but have about the same flex. Looking at the parts n pieces, I believe it'll keep the same ata and have a 1/2" - 3/4" shorter brace.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
So..i was thinking.... what if ya put monster cams on a switchback or an outback? I know the limb pockets are offset, but I think it could be done. Mr series limbs are a little shorter but have about the same flex. Looking at the parts n pieces, I believe it'll keep the same ata and have a 1/2" - 3/4" shorter brace.
Any thoughts?

A Monsback....

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Excellent!! Thank you, That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, I'm glad to see it worked.
I wonder if a helicoil would be better than just retapping the new hole??

Personally I'd think that with a thread half in the riser, half in the threaded aluminium plug, I'd certainly want a helicoil or something in there. So it's a movable limb bolt, in a static insert, in a static plug, in the riser. Just makes sure that nothing can budge when either adjusting the limb bolts or (more likely) when installing them in the first place.

Little extra peace of mind for loading and wear also - you may have to back the bolts out a ways to press it with AVS cam.

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I'd think that with a thread half in the riser, half in the threaded aluminium plug, I'd certainly want a helicoil or something in there. So it's a movable limb bolt, in a static insert, in a static plug, in the riser. Just makes sure that nothing can budge when either adjusting the limb bolts or (more likely) when installing them in the first place.

Little extra peace of mind for loading and wear also - you may have to back the bolts out a ways to press it with AVS cam.
That's kinda what I was thinking too.. thought about a pin through the threads on the edge of the plug, to lock it in place, but helicoil seems like the best option.

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually had another thought.. I've got an extra set of brass barrel nuts and bolts from a monster too. I'd still have to plug the existing hole, but that may be easier. Sourced some 3/8 24 aluminum threaded rod for just a couple bucks.

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think I just found the volunteer for this exploratory operation...

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Now its decision time... after looking things over, i have a few options. The riser length and limb angle on the q2xl is almost exactly the same as the monster/xlr8.. I've got 3 options available with the parts I have...
#1 original monster limbs would yield the same ata as the monster (33.5") with a brace around 8"
#2 xlr8 limbs with 33.5" ata and 7" brace
#3 monster Mr limbs which would be 36" ata with around 6.5" brace.
I believe the draw weight should stay true to the limbs weight with the monster or xlr8 limbs but probably gain quite a bit of weight with the Mr limbs due to the steeper angle.. thinkin I like the specs with the Mr limbs but may need lighter limbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts