Archery Talk Forum banner

Switchback Problem

977 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  shooter22
I am the local bow tinkerer in the small town where I live. Last night, a guy brought me a Switchback that he purchased new from eBay. The bow has never been fired. Yesterday, while he was away from home, some guy who had never drawn a bow before, drew his Switchback and when my friend got home he was handed his brand new bow of which the string had jumped off the cam. The guy who drew it back said he did not dry fire it, he claims the string jumped off the cam when he was drawing it. Aside from a cut serving, there is nothing wrong with the bow and I am sure I will have no problem straightening things out for him.

Now, I know that the Switchback is a very good bow with a solid design, but is possible that there is something in the design of this bow that could allow the string to jump the cam on rare occasions? Could the guy who drew the bow have torqued it so badly that the string jumped off? Or is it more likely that he dry fired it?

I guess what I am asking is, is there something about the Switchback that I should look for before fixing the damage and giving it back to my friend?

Automan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· StringMakerExtraordinaire
2,225 Posts
I've seen alot of what you are describing. What likely happened was , the guy who never drew a bow before, did roll the string off the cam. Not on the draw but rather while he was trying to let it down. I'm sure he had a death grip on the bow which in turn torques it enough so that the string does not track back in the groove in the cam and rolls off the cam. The older Mathews bows from the Switchback XT and older models can handle this quite well but the newer ones like, the Drenaline and newer, the cams don't hold up so well.

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen alot of what you are describing. What likely happened was , the guy who never drew a bow before, did roll the string off the cam. Not on the draw but rather while he was trying to let it down. I'm sure he had a death grip on the bow which in turn torques it enough so that the string does not track back in the groove in the cam and rolls off the cam. The older Mathews bows from the Switchback XT and older models can handle this quite well but the newer ones like, the Drenaline and newer, the cams don't hold up so well.
That sounds believable.

Thanks
Automan

· Registered
2,959 Posts
Yeah thats what happened he torqued the bow on the let down. Happens a lot my dealer has done a few of them due to shorter ata on these bows the string angle is real steep doesen't take much to roll the string off of the cam. My buddy had a DXT shot about 10 times same thing happened split the upper limb on his. I do not think Mathews will warranty the bow due to it being purchased off of ebay.

· Classifieds Administrator
39,736 Posts
Maybe he tried pulling it on more of an angle than normal and it happened. People that never pull back bows usually have an odd approach. Its the "I know I can do this" and probably don't know they are doing it wrong.

Just check the cams and limbs real close and repair the serving if you can.

If in doubt you can always contact Bob Jenkins on here as he can answer just about any Mathews questions.

· Registered
296 Posts
We have seen that in our shop many times in the past year or so with the Mathews and some of the Bowtechs if the proper form and technique are not used or the Draw length is too long or all of the above. The shooter can very easily roll the string off of the cams and dry fire the bow.

· Broke and Happy
5,030 Posts
Friends don't let friends pull back their bows......... in a nut shell it was hand torque.......
IF my friend has shot a bow before and/or has a bow then I let them pull and shoot mine...and they usually do the same...but there is NO WAY that a buddy of mine who has never pulled one back is going to experiment with my bow. It was hand torque, easy fix. When read this topic I thought, Nah this has to be a mistake, Switchback's don't have problems! HAHAHAHAH :tongue:

· Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I feel much better about putting this bow back in the hands of the owner.

I know all too well about guys who know nothing about bows, screwing things up when the owner of the bow is not around. My first bow was a really sweet re-curve that I really loved. One day when I was not around, my wife let some kid string it and shoot it. He told her that he knew all about bows and snapped the tip of the bottom limb trying to string it. I was just sick when I got home and saw that mess.

Thanks again
Automan

· Registered
2,542 Posts
Archer is right I actually seen a guy roll a string off a bow while letting down. He had it break past the cam over and when he tried to catch it, he torqued one hand and the bow hand stayed straight. The string went right offf just like a bike chain when we were little kids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.