Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All --

So I finally found a LH 70# SBXT that is in pretty good shape...I'm going to replace the threads, and was thinking of dipping it, but it is in such great shape I think I'll leave it for now...

So, those of you that have owned them, what sight and rest do you like for them?

It's in specatcular shape with the exception of the string as far as I can tell...

Let me know!

image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Bad move. Now that you own the best bow ever made you're just going to end up putting the other ones in tho closet. Maybe you can just sell the other two and get yourself some sweet accessories, some new camo, and a couple climbers.

I'd put a 5-pin Hogg it Hunter on that, a QAD HDX, and a Stokerized SS1.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad move. Now that you own the best bow ever made you're just going to end up putting the other ones in tho closet. Maybe you can just sell the other two and get yourself some sweet accessories, some new camo, and a couple climbers.

I'd put a 5-pin Hogg it Hunter on that, a QAD HDX, and a Stokerized SS1.
Ha ha! Never owned any of those products...will check them out...I may black this one out...not sure yet...

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Have you shot it yet? Or have you at least drawn it back?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a Spot Hogg Real Deal on mine, love it but if I were to buy another sight it'd be a 5 pin slider like a mbg ascent. Currently my top pin is 20 yds and the top of my bubble is 75 yds... Not a problem for hunting but for 3d novelty shoots and for fun it'd be nice to have a 100 pin. These bows are awesome but they are not fast. 5 pin slider would lock down for hunting and give you some range for fun stuff.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
the top bow in my opinion that matt has ever made, i do know one thing that you will want to change. the cam they eat strings. i press mine so the carbon is flush .. all of them i ever did for people had the same issue. they pressed them and it left a high spot or ledge and the string gets ate up. by making it flush it no longer has that issue.check your ill bet it got a slight burr, ledge.. my.02 mike

·
Registered
49,522 Posts
Mike 66 if you had a bow that ate strings it was because you had a problem with that particular bow or something was not set up correctly. But to assume they all were that way is totally wrong. I have never seen a single one ever do what you say.
OP as far as acc. what is wrong with what is on the bow. Looks like good things to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What?
the top bow in my opinion that matt has ever made, i do know one thing that you will want to change. the cam they eat strings. i press mine so the carbon is flush .. all of them i ever did for people had the same issue. they pressed them and it left a high spot or ledge and the string gets ate up. by making it flush it no longer has that issue.check your ill bet it got a slight burr, ledge.. my.02 mike

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I agree with other posters.. This IS the best bow ever made by Mathews and one of the very best made by anybody.. They just shoot.. I use Vapor Trail Strings & Cable, HHA DS_5510 sight, Vapor Trail Pro-V rest, with 10" Doinker Dish stab... This thing is just amazing to shoot. Every time I pick up a new/better(lol) bow I just shake my head and realize what I already own. Sort of like being married to the same woman for 35 years.. Yea she's not like the newer models, but she gets the job done and has survived many memorable trips and seen you through all the good and bad times... Nothing more rewarding than to bring out "Old Faithful" and take a nice buck... If you have one, hang on to it... You'll be sorry if you let her go... just my 2 cents...

·
Devil's Advocate
923 Posts
doesnt shoot 360 ibo therefore it is terrible.

/tongueincheek.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Mike 66 if you had a bow that ate strings it was because you had a problem with that particular bow or something was not set up correctly. But to assume they all were that way is totally wrong. I have never seen a single one ever do what you say.
OP as far as acc. what is wrong with what is on the bow. Looks like good things to me.
well sir, i never said they were all that way. i said all of them i ever done for people had that issue. i agree it would be wrong to say ALL. the older apex 7 and switchbacks along with others sure had some issues with them eating the servings . i only did 30 or so when people around here heard i knew how to fix the issue. and the were set up perfect .have a nice day..

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
doesnt shoot 360 ibo therefore it is terrible.

/tongueincheek.

Maybe by today's standards, but a decade ago that was about the average speed.

·
Archery Addict
9,150 Posts
SBXT was a very good bow back in the day. I never had any problems with it "eating strings" either. It was a very good hunting bow and it served me very well until something better came along. There is nothing wrong with the accessories that are currently on the bow pictured, but if you wish to replace them anything will work just fine.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah the strings look pretty shoddy likely original so not really wanting to shoot them. The camo on the riser in front of the grip is perfect so I think it hasn't been shot much. Waiting on a DL mod then am planning to have it gone through. May just use those accessories for now but we will see. Thanks for the replies.

·
Bow Bender
6,252 Posts
Where the cable rolls over on the really steep angle on the cam track, mine would separate the serving right there after a few thousand shots. Every one I ever seen locally had the same problem, if you want to call it that. Many times it would just separate the serving, then that was the end, no problems, but sometimes it would fray the serving and it would start to unravel, so you would have to reserve that area.

But as far as the SBXT, that was the best bow I ever owned from Mathews. Still sorry I sold mine. That bow just stacked them in there. Seemed to hit everything I pointed it at. Just a joy to shoot with a smooth as butter draw cycle.

·
Super Moderator
22,661 Posts
Literally the best hunting bow I've ever owned. If it wasn't for my idiotic thinking of wanting the newest bow out there every couple of years, I'd still have the three SBXT's I've owned and sold.

·
arrowspitter
1,370 Posts
I had the regular switchback. It was slooow and it did chew up the serving like some others have said the worst set of stock threads I have ever had, but it was an awesome shooting bow! Very smooth draw cycle and pretty dead in the hand. I put a set of Bucknasty string and cable on it and put a few thousand shots on them before I sold the bow and they hadn't begun to show wear yet.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
When I bought some new Xpeditions I converted my Switchback XT into a turkey bow shooting nothing but 125 grain Magnus Bullheads. I've taken many turkeys with this setup and I do not have to change anything come spring. I use my Xpeditions for 3-D and big game hunting. I agree that the XT was the best bow Matthew made. Would not part with mine for any of the new Matthews.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts