Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought the XT and I love it but...the other day I was looking it over after a 3-d shoot and noticed that the serving has already worn through and the string strands are showing......:cry: It is on the cable near the riser by the bottom cam.

I have ONLY PUT ABOUT 150 SHOTS through this bow. :mad:

Have any of you guys had this problem? If so, what did they tell you was wrong with your bow?

What should I do?? It isWAY TO DAMN CLOSE TO DEER SEASON TO SEND IT BACK TO MATHEWS!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
My buddy has this same problem and has had to have the bus cable changed twice already since last year and it's worn through again.

I think Matthews ought to have a recall on this

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
i heard monre than once about XT's serving problem

my 2005 switchback have this same problem the new cable i just put on has already begun to split the serving

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
No problems yet

I have a new XT and put about a 1000 shots through it. It looks in very good shape. I would contact mathews b/c it is under warranty I think? Let them know of your problem. Worse case scenerio get a new string.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a Switchback LD and within the first month I had the same problem. I just had it reserved and have not had an issue since. I think Matthews is using a cheap serving material. While it wasn't a huge issue it was still disappointing to have spent that much money and have any sort of problem that soon. I also made a post when it happened to me and everyone acted like it was very common w/ Matthews. I would think that a company like Matthews would not let something as simple as using quaity serving cast a bad light on their product. Just so we are clear I like my bow Matthews bows are top of the line, I am not bashing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
i had the same problem. got it re-served and it did it again so i put on a vapor trail string and havnt had a problem since.

·
Registered
663 Posts
i just sold my sb 05 to a guy named huber and i had put brand new stone mountain cable on it and it was worn badly on the serving and i looked at the original which was also worn.

he got it tuned i think the cams rubbed the serving. Honestly its all hearsay and rumor but the place i got my bow at said "lots o problems with the control cable thats why we switch em!"

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is my understanding that mathews does not warrenty their strings and cables. You guys are correct that the issue should be address by Mathews.
Poor tolerances on the cable serving machine?

·
Registered
98 Posts
what I have heard...

a guy at my local sports shop told me that the reason is beacuse Mathews cams have no play in them side to side where as most other bows do. he said that is good because there is no cam lean but it can be hard on the cable. He is also a Hoyt and bowtech dealer so he is not partial to Mathews

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
It hasn't happened yet to mine. I mentioned it when I bought the bow, and the dealer said that if anything happend, it would be where the cable goes around the sharp turn in the cam.
You might want to put a new string on right away and get it settled back in ASAP.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
The serving on my Swithback and XT both have done the same thing I had Bucknasty make me strings and cables and his have held up. I have never liked the strings and cables on Mathews bows. But you can always get it reserved also.

·
Premium Member
18,022 Posts
I have put thousands of shots through my 05 switchback and haven't had a problem with it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys

Thanks.

I will contact Mathews too!!! See if thier customer service is as good as they say.

The serving is not coming undone at the top....it is in the middle of the string....

The cheapest solution is to just have that cable reserved...that is probably what will happen to get me through this season w/ the lowest cost.

May look at a buck nasty string...great guy to do business with.

Thanks again guys!! ( & girls??? ) ha ha

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
This is very common on most one cam bows . Just keep it waxed good and keep a eye on it. I have had my XT since early spring and yes it has serving seperation to but it has not got any worse. As long as the serving or string strands are not broke dont worry about it just shoot and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I have thousands of arrows threw my 05 switchback.I noticed a little wear on the bottom cam and decided I would change it Just so my old stings and cables would make a good back up if I needed them.I changed to a new set of barracudas and havent had a bit of wear.This thread reminded me to look because i havent since the worlds.Ive shot every day since then probably 100 arrows a day and they are fine.Maybe Iam just fortunate and got a good bow,but I would definatly contact Mathews with the problem.Even this close to the season,Id hate to have em break at the wrong time and not have a bow period.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just Like That...

mn5503 said:
Look like this one?

I have replaced mine with a VT and it appears to be holding up very good.

IDENTICAL!!!!

MINE IS POSSIBLE A LITTLE WORSE!!! :mad:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts