Archery Talk Forum banner

Switchback xt vs s2 which one would you choose

2150 Views 30 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  michaelc10
Im trying to decide between one of these bows , what one do you prefer and why
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Have shot all of the Mathews line-up save the Monster and I think the S2 is one of the best shooting bows in the current lineup. For a shorter draw length, like me, the S2 is much more stable and better shooting than the XT. XTs are more common, but, I think the longer ATA of the S2 is more forgiving.

· Registered
444 Posts
Switchback XT

I bought a SBXT here used and in excellent shape a few weeks ago. Not a
speed demon but I shot it indoor tonight and boy is it accurate and forgiving.
I am gaining alot of confidence in the bow. SMOOTH draw, 80% let off with
a solid back wall, just what I need for bowhunting elk,deer,turkey, etc.
I made some form flaws tonight and knew when I did. The arrow still went
where I was aiming. I sure like this bow so far!!

· Registered
610 Posts
I thought the S2 had a slight more kick from the cam.

Both were the same to me on vibration and smoothness.

I got the XT, a bit shorter for hunting in a stand.

If you shot both with your eyes closed I doubt you could tell the difference.

More people around here shoot the S2 because of speed, according the local shop.

· Registered
946 Posts
I owned the XT before and I just got the S2 because I preferred the Switchback over the XT.

Comparing the Switchback and the S2, they are almost identical. The S2 has a different idler, it's a hair lighter and very slightly less top heavy than the Switchback. Very subtle differences though.

· Registered
182 Posts
they are very comparable...the got to shoot the XT longer than i did with the s2 but the switchback XT is prolly one of the best hunting bows ever made...
I bought a SBXT here used and in excellent shape a few weeks ago. Not a
speed demon but I shot it indoor tonight and boy is it accurate and forgiving.
I am gaining alot of confidence in the bow. SMOOTH draw, 80% let off with
a solid back wall, just what I need for bowhunting elk,deer,turkey, etc.
I made some form flaws tonight and knew when I did. The arrow still went
where I was aiming. I sure like this bow so far!!
I owned the XT before and I just got the S2 because I preferred the Switchback over the XT.

Comparing the Switchback and the S2, they are almost identical. The S2 has a different idler, it's a hair lighter and very slightly less top heavy than the Switchback. Very subtle differences though.
The Switchback XT and the orignal Switchback or S2 have the same length Riser but the XT is 2" shorter (SBXT=31") where the orignal SB or S2 is 33". Because the SBXT has the same length Riser as the SB or S2 it limbs are more parallel and having that long Riser it holds and shoots like a longer ATA bow. To me it also feels a little smoother at the shot then the SB or S2 (I dont know if its because it has more harmonic dampners on it). IMHO the SBXT is by far the smoothest and best shooting bow Mathews has ever made. The IBO on the XT is 315fps and the IBO on the SB or S2 is 318fps so theres nothing in and a lot of people like the extra 1/2" of brace height on the XT. I was always a Hoyt shooter until I shot the XT and regret selling it, I just hope they bring it back. Even today over 3 years after they released the SBXT there is no bow that compares to it from any maker.

· Registered
1,503 Posts
I've got the SBXT and my hunting buddy has the Switchback. I've shot them both..........alot. I can't really say that the SBXT is a better bow nor can I say the SB is better than the SBXT. The differences are very subtle. I have mine customized to fit me so yes there are things about my bow I like better but I know I would be more than satisfied with the SB also if I were to change a few things about my buddys bow. If you are looking at buying a NEW Mathews bow get the S2 and be done with it. If you are thinking used bow get the SBXT......... either way you won't be sorry.

Here's mine.......I really really like this bow............ S2, SB, SBXT all EXCELLENT bows.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.